Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for info on James Edward Wakeman

Hi! I'm looking for info on James Edward Wakeman (born ~1863? and emigrated to Canada in 1905). Lee Weller mentioned him in a post here:

"Other relatives (a nephew with family - James Edward Wakeman) also ended up for a period around 1890 in or near Silsden (Uttley). James Edward Wakeman eventually migrated to western Canada (1905)."

Any ideas or information would be appreciated!

Brad Wakeman

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.Weller View Post
    I have Wakeman ancestors who were Bromsgrove nailmakers, but I'm only confident of their history back to the early 1800s. They were James and Mary Anne (Bennett) Wakeman, with children Jemima, Temperance, Theophilus, Titus, Cephas, Selina Ann, Albert Valentine and Hieronymus. I think that James was the son of William and Ann (Day) Wakeman, but the evidence isn't conclusive.

Cephas (my gg-gfather) and his younger brother Albert moved to Silsden (W York.) sometime before the 1871 census where they continued to ply the nailmaking trade. Cephas later emigrated to USA with his wife and only son. Albert remained in Silsden.

Other relatives (a nephew with family - James Edward Wakeman) also ended up for a period around 1890 in or near Silsden (Uttley). James Edward Wakeman eventually migrated to western Canada (1905).

Cephas Wakeman was born in 1834 in Bromsgrove and married Maria Jones there in Dec 1858. I can't find them in the 1861 census, but he re-appears in the 1871 census, in Silsden, with wife Maria and son James Thomas (born in Silsden in Dec. 1866). This family migrates to the USA in 1874. Maria died there in 1884 and Cephas in 1886.

Lee

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Brad
    Just as a base from which to work is this your James Edward Wakeman in the 1906 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta? The parents were a bit slack with birth dates.
    Strathcona Alberta
    James E Wakeman 43 born England Immigration Year 1905
    Annie Wakeman 51 wife Immigration Year 1906
    Albert J Wakeman son crossed out on the form.
    Theophilus Wakeman son 18 Immigration Year 1906 birth reg is 1899 mmn Morris reg dist KEIGHLEY West Riding of Yorkshire
    Ada Wakeman 14 dau Immigration Year 1906. birth actually registered 1892 KEIGHLEY mmn Morris
    Ceppas Wakeman 11 son Immigration Year 1906. birth reg June 1/4 Cephas Wakeman 1895 Skipton West Riding of Yorkshire. mmn Morris
    Sir Ophrey Wakeman 6 son Immigration Year 1906 Couldn't find this birth reg c1905 but did find this one
    Siroffrey Wakeman mother's maiden name Morris registration district West Derby March 1/4 1900 Vol 8b Page 523

If the mother is Annie Morris then I can't find a record of her marriage to James.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

1881 RG11 Piece 2906 Folio 33 Page16
    Nash Shropshire
    Theophilus Wakeman 50 born Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, farmer of 8 acres
    Maria Wakeman 48 wife Burford, Shropshire
    George Wakeman 24 son farm labourer Ludlow, Shropshire,
    Theophilus Wakeman 20 son shoemaker Hereford,
    James Ed. Wakeman 17 son farm labourer born Hereford, Hereford, England
    Mary Ann Wakeman 13 Ludlow, Shropshire
    Benaih Wakeman 11 Burford, Shropshire
    Albert Wakeman 8 Burford, Shropshire
    Thomas Wakeman 6 Burford, Shropshire
    John Wakeman 2 Burford, Shropshire

Should have asked, just what information are you after Brad?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

SCRITTI

Default Wakemans

Hi, I definitely have a Frank b1895 son of john Wakeman and Elizabeth Crawford, he also has a sister Dora and they are my 1st cousins 3x removed.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I've just found this site while trying to find the grave of my Great Grandfather, John Wakeman. He married Elizabeth Crawford and their children were Dora, Frank, Alice, Lilly, Lucy and William (my Grandfather). Never met William who was the Motor Works Superintendent at the Austin Works in Longbridge. He died young in 1929. My father Harry was 5 at the time. Have more information.
    Alan Wakeman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12