Loves to help with queries

Default Great Orme suicide

I'm trying to confirm that a lady committed suicide off the Great Orme in 1932. Are there newspapers on line for that period? If not which record office or library would I have to visit. Thanks looby

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Times Digital Archive is online (paysite)

archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol/archive/ (put https:// in front)

Or you may be able to access it free through your membership of a county library, if they subscribe to it.

For local sources, Llandudno Library seems to be closed at present. But Conwy Archive Service seems to have the local newspapers for Llandudno. You could try emailing them.

Or you could order the death certificate.

Loves to help with queries

Thanks Kerrywood, an excellent reply as always. I'll give your suggestions a try.

barney7

Hi only just come across this site. Watching the cycling tour of britain today finished at the great orme.
    Made me think back to my dad who years ago told me that we had an aunt who committed suicide in the 1930,s
    by jumping off the Great Orme. Unfortunately he passed away in 2001 so i cannot ask him more. Her surname may have
    been Sharp or Grocott. I also live in Manchester and all our relatives live round the North West.
    Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff Sharp

You could look for her death cert.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

28 July 1932 Hartlepool Mail carries details of a Mrs Florrie BLINCOE from Bolton , on holiday in Llandudno,

Nottiingham Evening Post
    .....Found hanged by a woollen scarf..... she is desc as aged about 60, well dressed, wearing a wedding ring, an expensive gold wristlet watch. She had other small possessions about her but non to identify her from !

Name: Florence M Blincoe
    Birth Date: abt 1874
    Date of Registration: Sep 1932
    Age at Death: 58
    Registration district: Conway
    Inferred County: Caernarvonshire
    Volume: 11b Page: 501

Florence Mary BENNETT was b 1874 Tutbury Staffs married Edward H BLINCOE ( Artist & Designer) 1895 at Burton on Trent

1911 describes herself as a Suffragette by 1928 she is a secretary returning form S Africa