Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Robin
    I used Serif WebPlus, there are other similar programs. These programs let you input in "plain English", allow links, insertion of photos,etc. Quite useful if your not a computer nerd, sorry, buff. Have a look and see what you think. https://petenicholl.me.uk/index.html
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Very quick off the mark.

There's a book called

"Planting Your Family Tree Online: How to Create Your Own Family History Website"

by Cyndi Howells (creator of Cydi's List)

which I am thinking of buying.

I downloaded the sample onto my Kindle but it doesn't tell youu very much - only why you need a web-site and I know that already. The one review of the book gives it a 5* rating.

It seems as if the tree book is cheaper than the Kindle version.

Regards,

maggie

Mutley

Not having a lot of knowledge I have played with a provider called moonfruit and another called 1&1, at least, off the top of my head, I think they were the names. Google 'Free Hosting' and you will probably find many suitable for beginners.

Tribal Pages is specific to family history and used by many BG members.

Have a play with them all, just don't part with any dosh until you know what you want and how to achieve it.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I am toying with the idea of setting up a family history website to put everything I've found out during my research but I have no experience of websites or which programmes would be best to use.

Has anyone set up a website and if so, what programmes do you recommend?
    Hi Robin,

I use a Mac so I don't have any experience with PC based web programs. I used a free Apple program called iWeb to set up my own Family History type website (see my post in the Writing Up Your Family History section of this Forum at https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ee-amp-history). If you have a Mac then iWeb is certainly the easiest way to go as everything you need is included and it can take only minutes to be up and running with a prepared website. But the more thought and planning you put in then the better your finshed website will look. There are some excellent articles on the web with regard to web design, and some genealogical websites can offer similar articles.

Although my website is hosted on Apple's MobileMe platform, I used my own domain name. It is better to buy your own domain as it is much easier to tell your family to log onto (for example) www dot RobinC.org rather than a much longer (and pretty meaningless) web address. To get the best price you should shop around the web to look at the different web Registrars as when it comes to buying domains they often have special offers. I bought my own domain for 20 euro for two years. I used a registrar in the USA even though I live in Ireland, and the process was quick and relatively straightforward. You will need somewhere to host your website and again a google search should give you an indication as to what services are available and at what cost.

If you need any further information free to PM me.

Regards,
    Eric

Mr.Potter

My Heritage have a Family Tree Builder myheritage.com basic is free, but upgrades are worthwhile. Easy to use and has the advantage that you can invite family members to the site - I have find this useful as they can check correctness and input extra info.
    Last edited by Neil Wilson; 07-11-2010 at 3:26 PM. Reason: URL removed see AUP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12