Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

As I'm sure you are aware the name is not uncommon, so many Brown's. If you think Rosetta did go to USA the only way to prove it is by finding a marriage, or other record in the US where a father's name is mentioned, not easy!

I looked on the Castle Garden site but it doesn't give any more information than you already know, just ship name and date of arrival.
    Alma

Red face Thank you for renewing my membership

Hello Some time ago I belonged to British Genealogy. due to circumstance I did not use the site for some time and found I could no longer book in. At last I have achieved that and thank you for allowing me to re join.

My ongoing search is to find my husband's 4th great grandmother who went to America in 1848.

Her name was Rosetta Brown she was born in Chenies Bucks April 1823. She left England May 1848 on a ship by the name of Caleb Grimshaw. Up till now I have been unable find out where she went to after arriving in America.
    Has anyone had the luck to be able to trace anyone in this circumstance? If so I would be so pleased to start the searches again but I have tried so many ways to find her, I have over the years not got anywhere.

Sincerely Betty Anne

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

She left England May 1848 on a ship by the name of Caleb Grimshaw.
    The name of the person in the original thread sailing on this ship was given as Rose Brown. See post #20.
    That post also says Rose was 23, born in 1823. If she was born in 1823, she should have been classed as aged 25 when sailing in 1848. If she was 23, then she should have been born in 1825. (In both instances, plus/minus a year depending on whether she'd already had her birthday that year at the time of sailing.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello Pam I think she may have changed her name to Rose ,perhaps as an attempt to start a new life? Maybe she never knew the exact date of her birth. I have been unable to find her on the 1841 census . According to the records when she applied for the baby to be taken in to the Foundling Hospital she lived with an aunt before taking the position as a nursemaid in Shoreditch. I think her date of birth is shown on Family search.
    Believe me Pam I have searched and searched for this person and every time I end with getting no further.
    Thank you for your reply Batty Anne

Betty Anne,

I've obviously overdosed on Christmas festivities because my brain isn't working on full speed.

I should have merged your new post (# 22) with your original thread, instead of just cross-referring.
    Something which I have now rectified.

It means I have had to delete your additional posts in this thread (which you posted after post #22), but there was no great damage done, because the posts just confirmed that you have been unable to find a marriage for Rosetta in England.

If I remember, in approximately 24 hours' time, I will transfer this thread to the Brickwalls forum, and give it the title 'Rosetta Brown, b 1825 Chenies, Bucks', which I believe is a far more relevant title. If you object, then I can move it to any forum you'd prefer, and with any title (up to 45 characters and spaces) you'd prefer. Or alternatively, just leave it where it is, with the same title.

Pam

Default Brickwalls

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Betty Anne,

I've obviously overdosed on Christmas festivities because my brain isn't working on full speed.

I should have merged your new post (# 22) with your original thread, instead of just cross-referring.
    Something which I have now rectified.

It means I have had to delete your additional posts in this thread (which you posted after post #22), but there was no great damage done, because the posts just confirmed that you have been unable to find a marriage for Rosetta in England.

If I remember, in approximately 24 hours' time, I will transfer this thread to the Brickwalls forum, and give it the title 'Rosetta Brown, b 1825 Chenies, Bucks', which I believe is a far more relevant title. If you object, then I can move it to any forum you'd prefer, and with any title (up to 45 caharacters and spaces) you'd prefer. Or alternatively, just leave it where it is, with the same title.

Pam
    Thank you Pam All the best for 2022 Keep safe Please put it in brickwalls BettyAnne

Hello No when I looked into it was not ours Thanks Betty Anne

Rosetta was employed as a nursemaid by a family in Shoreditch named Milo. Mrs Milo helped her to have the baby admitted to The Coran Foundling Hospital, perhaps Mrs Milo thought she had done enough and did not want her to employ her ?

Famous for offering help & advice

Was the child named Edward? If so have you seen the Baptism record?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Anne View Post
    Thank you Pam All the best for 2022 Keep safe Please put it in brickwalls BettyAnne
    New, more appropriate, title; new, more appropriate, forum, all sorted.

Betty Anne,
    can we ask that you click the 'reply with quote' link every time you reply to a post, as it makes it easier to understand exactly what you're referring to. e.g.post # 27
    Hello No when I looked into it was not ours Thanks Betty Anne
    gives no indication which post/subject it refers to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast