Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Powell Family London ?

I am looking for a George Arthur Powell born abt 1909 posibily in the London area. His parents were Gordon Leonard Arthur Powell a Parkes Inspector and his Mothers maiden name was Violet Bird, I am sorry i dont have any birth or death dates for his parents.

Jan1954

Well, there is a George Arthur POWELL's birth registered in the December quarter of 1909 in Lambeth district. (Volume 1d, page 415). However, there is another one in the June quarter of 1910 in Southwark dstrict - volume 1d, page 141.

Is this the sort of thing that you are after?

Geoffers

I'd recommend beginning with the 1911 census which is available on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'.

For example, try an advanced search for a George Arthur POWELL bn 1910 +/- 1 year with Violet POWELL living at the same address and see if you get any hits which closely match the information you have.

You might also search freebmd for a marriage of the parents. Try looking at Dec 1907 for a marriage of Violet BIRD where there is a matching entry for someone with the surname POWELL.

terrysfamily

The only marriage for a Leonard (lonnard) Powell and Violet Bird combination prior to the birth of George Arthur is

Marriages Dec 1907
    BIRD Violet Eleanor Wandsworth 1d 915
    POWELL Lonnard Arthur P Wandsworth 1d 915

I don’t know where the Gordon has gone though?

Births Mar 1887 POWELL Leonard Arthur P Camberwell 1d 962

Births Sep 1888 BIRD Violet Eleanor Camberwell 1d 8_9

There are births for Powell with the mothers name Bird for 2 children

Births Sep 1911 Powell Reginald P Bird Southwark 1d 246

Births Mar 1913 Powell Gladys E Bird Southwark 1d 203

So I’d put my money on

Births Jun 1910 POWELL George Arthur Southwark 1d 141

Being your man.

Don’t know if this helps or hinders!

Terry

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I haveFound him in a famiy Tree George Arthur Powell B 3rd May 1910 in 34 Surrey Grove, Newington and died 3rd June 1954 Public Hospital, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. Thanks for all yuor help

terrysfamily

So that will be the birth registration originally found by Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    However, there is another one in the June quarter of 1910 in Southwark dstrict - volume 1d, page 141.
    Southwark covered the district of Newington

georgiep

The next census after 1901 which we can't mention has the following for Powell family
    Southwark London
    Violet Eleanor 27, Leonard Arthur Percy 24,Gordon Leonard 2yrs, George Arthur 11mnths.

georgiep

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hey I think this is my great grandfather. My grandfather's father all I know about him is he was 28 in September 1938 born in London died in Wellington. I would love to find out if this is indeed my great grandfather.