Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    kelby

Hi Derek, dont know if I let you know but Ellen Robertson Atherton and William Roberts were definitely my grandfathers parents. My grandfather changed his name from William Frederick Roberts to Atherton, I found the Deed of Poll stating this. So dont know what connections there are to other Athertons as I havent researched further back yet. Would love to research to today to see if there are any living relatives, but wouldnt know how to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Atherton View Post
    Kelby,

Just spotted the marriage on Ancestry PRs of Ellen Robertson Atherton 31 Spinster of St Catherines (Edge Hill) to William Roberts 28 Bachelor a Steward of Cairns St on 2 Aug 1884 at Toxteth St Michael. Fathers were James Atherton Mariner and Thomas Roberts Carpenter.

Hope that helps!

Derek

Derek Atherton

Kelby,

Ellen Robertson and her family (as far as I could find) are on my web site - if you have any more info I'd be glad to add it to the site!

Derek

kelby

sorry to be ignorant Derek, where do I find your website?

Derek Atherton

www.tribalpages.com/tribes/atherton182

Access code is "Burnley"

Good luck!

DianaCanada

Derek - I have an Atherton brickwall. Jane, b. ca 1790, Liverpool, married John Feay 1 Dec 1818, Eccles, Lancs. They lived in Hulme, Lancs. during the census period and prob there or Manchester proper before (children's births).
    I suspect Jane may have been a widow when she married John, although no marital status included in original marriage record, which I viewed.
    Always wondered if a Lydia Atherton b. ca 1811, Liverpool, who lived on the same street in one census was a daughter. Lydia married Joseph Kilgour (unfortunately before civil registration).

Derek Atherton

Default Jane & Lydia Atherton

Regrettably, I ve not come across this family before. The marriage between Jane and John Feay is, as you say on 1 Dec 1818 at Eccles St Mary - shown on Lancs OPC. Again, as you say, there is no mention of her being a widow (or spinster) at marriage, just "Full age".

There was no trace of a baptism of Lydia on either Lancs OPC or Family Search - There is a marriage of Lydia Atherton to Joseph Rilgour on 27 Dec 1830 in Manchester on Family Search , but it doesn't give parents details!

Unless you strike lucky and have them living togther in a later Census, I'm afraid your "wall" is solid - I cannot think of any other way of linking the family.

Derek

PS. Do let me know how you get on - are the rest of your Atherton family on my website?

DianaCanada

Thanks Derek for your reply. No Jane is not on your website. I think there may be another connection between Jane and Lydia - I believe a daughter of Lydia and a grand-daughter of Jane married brothers.
    Are you from Burnley? My dad was born there.

Derek Atherton

Diana,

Indeed - Burnley born and bred - now retired to the South coast where it's supposed to be warmer (today it's just above freezing)!

Derek

DianaCanada

I still have relatives in Burnley - Dad is 91 now, came to Canada as a small child. His mother's family was all Burnley and area - Dixon, Burrows, Saul, Pickard, Pollard, Kenyon and more. No Athertons I'm afraid!

Derek Atherton

Diana,

Thanks - if you find any Atherton's on your travels, I have a lot of gaps on my web site!

Derek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast