nina

Default Baker Journeyman

I know that journeyman travelled to carry out their trade and it makes sense if you were a blacksmith, labourer etc but I can anyone explain why a baker would do so?

Nina

Jan1954

He would not necessarily travel to ply his trade - and neither would a blacksmith or labourer. The term "Journeyman" refers to how they were paid: by the day. Have a read of this thread, which should shed some light on the term.

nina

Thanks Jan, that explains one query but now totally baffles me why he wasn't with his family on 2 consecutive census' - I had thought he must be travelling. As he hasn't shown up on any census for 1891 or 1901 I wonder what he was up to!

Nina

nina

I tried a couple of days ago and altho' a couple of people have looked at the post there is no reply. His name is George Whelan born abt 1864 Dublin. He married Grace Dixon (nee Worral) in 1890 at Carlisle, the marriage cert stated his father was James. Children were James 1891, Grace 1893, Georgina 1898, Catherine 1902, mabel 1905, Jane 1909. He was with the family on the 1911 census but not on the 1891 or 1901, his wife Grace was listed as head.. I have tried variations of the name with no avail. I have tried church records for Dublin and cannot find his baptism but I do know he was married in the Catholic chapel at Carlisle.

I don't know where to go from here - all roads seem to lead nowhere

Nina

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
    I tried a couple of days ago and altho' a couple of people have looked at the post there is no reply. His name is George Whelan born abt 1864 Dublin. He married Grace Dixon (nee Worral) in 1890 at Carlisle, the marriage cert stated his father was James. Children were James 1891, Grace 1893, Georgina 1898, Catherine 1902, mabel 1905, Jane 1909. He was with the family on the 1911 census but not on the 1891 or 1901, his wife Grace was listed as head.. I have tried variations of the name with no avail. I have tried church records for Dublin and cannot find his baptism but I do know he was married in the Catholic chapel at Carlisle.

I don't know where to go from here - all roads seem to lead nowhere

Nina
    The thread to which Nina is referring is here. If anyone is able to help, please reply on the original thread so as to keep all the research in one place.

Thank you.