Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Minimum age for apprenticeship

I have just received a copy of a settlement examination in which it is stated that a boy aged 6 1/2 years old (in 1783) was placed in an apprenticeship by the Overseers of the Poor. Quite apart from any child welfare considerations, I find it hard to imagine that at that age he would have been able to provide his "master", a farmer, with much productive service. More of a liability, I should think. In later apprenticeship documents I have seen, a minimum age of 9 is implied. Can anyone enlighten me regarding the statutory minimum age?

In this case the child was "indentured". In other cases I have come across it has been specifically stated that the individual was not indentured. I would welcome an explanation of the difference.

Thomasin

Only the other day I was amazed to see the large number of 7 year olds being apprenticed. I would be interested in the answers to your questions, too.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    In later apprenticeship documents I have seen, a minimum age of 9 is implied.
    From notes that I made years ago, the minimum age of 9 was from 1847, and that was for "Poor Law" apprentices - those sent by their Parish to learn a trade. Prior to that the minimum age appears to have been 7, but again this was for pauper children.

I hope this helps.

BeeE586

I had a case in Lincolnshire - pre 1800 but I can't just find the exact date. Two orphan sisters aged 7 and 9 were apprenticed 'to learn the art of housewifery' until 21 or married. I was pleased that at least they were together.

Eileen

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    From notes that I made years ago, the minimum age of 9 was from 1847, and that was for "Poor Law" apprentices - those sent by their Parish to learn a trade. Prior to that the minimum age appears to have been 7, but again this was for pauper children.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks Jan, that is interesting and does help with the different age limits. I suppose it is just possible that my man was mistaken when he gave the age at which he was apprenticed although I would have expected the Justices to have questioned it at the time.

ChattieKathy

What kind of information can be found in the apprentice papers? Is it worth getting the papers?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ChattieKathy
    What kind of information can be found in the apprentice papers? Is it worth getting the papers?
    Apprenticeship indentures were for the most part private agreements between master, apprentice and the father of the apprentice - useful in giving the name of two generations where you may be struggling to find a father's name - though where an illegitimate child is put to an apprenticeship I have seen the grandfather's name recorded as the father.

They are useful sources of information but survival rate is variable - you may well find them indexed in a County Record Office catalogue, or posibly by a search of Access to Archives.

The Board of Stamps, Apprenticeship Books can be helpful too - see here

The Society of Genealogists in London has a collection of records.

TNA has a research guide on the subject - click here

DorothySandra

Children this young were employed in factories in the 19th C. It seems horrid to us, but small children could keep a workshop clean and tidy, operate bellows, do simple tasks. They might have dreadful lives, but they would be a lot better off, if they were apprenticed to a decent man, than in the workhouse.
    We probably under-estimate the capabilities of children now: a seven year old could do most of the tasks involved in running a house these days: operating vacuum cleaners, washing machines, etc. I don't mean that they should, just that they are physically capable of it. Perhaps not all the cooking. I remember doing serious cooking (Spanish Omelettes and Jam Tarts) at eight. Scrubbed hands, no messing about, and clearing up afterwards. And helping feed the twin babies: mixing the feed, sterilising bottles etc. I was proud to be of use.

Allanah

Interesting post.

I have lots of foks in my family who were apprentices but I have never thought to look for any information on this, this post has given me more food for thought and even more avenues to look into.

Thanks-Allanah