Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Kevin Garrad

I realise that not every birth in 1837 was properly registered, but I cannot find any relevant Albert in the 1837 December quarter registrations.

East Stour and Stour Provost would have come under the Shaftesbury Registration district.

December 1837 there is a Thomas Myall.
    In March 1838 there is an Albert Tanswell.

Loves to help with queries

Default Albert Myalls born or baptised Aug. 14, 1838

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I believe the son's name is Ambros(e).

This MYALL family is also in the 1841 census for Stower Provost, at HO107/293 bk 24 folio 16 page 8 (reference to record held by TNA).

Do bear in mind that 25 December 1837 is recorded as the date of baptism at East Stour, not birth. Albert may have been born elsewhere, and perhaps a good deal earlier. Not everyone was baptised at birth.

If you can tell us why you are searching for Albert, and what your starting-point is, we might be able to help further.
    Here is the background information on Albert Myalls as he is known to the family. As we all know there has been many different spellings of Myalls over the years. However, that being said, Albert insisted to his deathbed he was Albert Myalls born or baptised Aug. 14, 1838 in East Stour Dorset. He was a stowaway on a fishing schooner to the south shore of Newfoundland about 1855. There was another lad along with him named William Reeves. The boys were put ashore at Fox Cove and walked overland to Coombs Cove on the east shore. They started working for Richard Vallis as fishermen and in 1869 Albert married Elizabeth Vallis in Hermitage Bay. She was the daughter of Richard Vallis his original employer. They had 7 children and Albert died June 2, 1930 in Coombs Cove Newfoundland. William Reeves was the son of Robert and Maria Reeves and he said he was from Poole Dorset. I have been unable to find Albert's origins in Dorset and it could be his birth record is missing or he maybe illegitimate and/or his mother got married or the spelling of his name in the records isn't as he sees himself. I have two ancestors who were illegitimate, one kept his mother's maiden name and the other had her surname changed to the mother's husband after they were married. If Albert Hellyar can't be found in the 1851 census he could be a possible candidate. There is only one Albert in the 1937-8 Parish records of East Stour. If the name Albert or Ambrose can be deciphered more clearly perhaps this can be another prospect. Other than that I don't have any other info.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Topley View Post
    There is only one Albert in the 1937-8 Parish records of East Stour.
    As mentioned earlier, not everyone was baptised at birth -- or indeed at all.

If the name Albert or Ambrose can be deciphered more clearly perhaps this can be another prospect.
    I've been looking a little more closely at Ambros MYALL, aged 14 in 1851 (son of Martha), living in Stour Provost.
    HO107/1851 folio 458 page 10 (reference to record held by TNA).

According to the Criminal Registers, one Ambrose MYALL was convicted of larceny at Dorchester Sessions on 1 March 1854 and was sentenced to 10 days solitary confinement.

Then on 3 April 1855, again at Dorchester, possibly the same Ambrose MYALL pleaded guilty to a charge of "assault with intent to ravish". He was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment with hard labour.

I haven't been able to find Ambrose MYALL after 1855. Maybe he became disillusioned and left the country?

What is the earliest record you have for your Albert MIALLS in Newfoundland?

Default Ambrose Myall possible Albert Myalls

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    As mentioned earlier, not everyone was baptised at birth -- or indeed at all.

I've been looking a little more closely at Ambros MYALL, aged 14 in 1851 (son of Martha), living in Stour Provost.
    HO107/1851 folio 458 page 10 (reference to record held by TNA).

According to the Criminal Registers, one Ambrose MYALL was convicted of larceny at Dorchester Sessions on 1 March 1854 and was sentenced to 10 days solitary confinement.

Then on 3 April 1855, again at Dorchester, possibly the same Ambrose MYALL pleaded guilty to a charge of "assault with intent to ravish". He was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment with hard labour.

I haven't been able to find Ambrose MYALL after 1855. Maybe he became disillusioned and left the country?

What is the earliest record you have for your Albert MIALLS in Newfoundland?
    Anything is possible in view of the fact I'm unable to find any information on anyone named Albert Myalls anywhere in the UK. We know he was a stowaway so he could easily be running away from the situation you mention in Dorset. Changing his name from Ambrose to Albert, Myall to Myalls and his birth year from 1837 to 1838 could easily hide his past, especially in those days. There is a record of his marriage in 1869 in Hermitage Newfoundland but I don't know if it includes his parents names. His children were named Maria Jane b 1871, Margaret Ann b 1874, John Henry b 1876, Albert b 1879, Emily b 1882, Amelia Frances b 1887 and William Quinton b 1893. I'll try to get a copy of his marriage record. He did nothing unusual and seemed to have a good reputation as a hard working fisherman and a good family man.

Default Myalls born 1837-38 Blandford area.

I have come up with more Myalls information. I just received a copy of birth from the GRO for Harriet Myalls born Oct. 30, 1837 in Blandford. Her father was Samuel Myalls and her mother (looks like) Jane Myalls formerly Pitman? The reason I ordered this birth record it is the only Myalls birth record I could find for 1837, 1838 and 1839 for the Blandford area. So, Albert claims he was born Aug. 14, 1838 and Harriet's birth record states she was born Oct. 30, 1837, 288 days before Albert. Is this possible? If Harriet's baptism was late in being recorded it seems quite possible, doesn't it?
    Bob

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Albert claims he was born Aug. 14, 1838 and Harriet's birth record states she was born Oct. 30, 1837, 288 days before Albert. Is this possible?
    Just about, but it's a bit tight.

The reason I ordered this birth record it is the only Myalls birth record I could find for 1837, 1838 and 1839 for the Blandford area.
    If Albert MYALLS said he was born in East Stour, I'm not sure why you are searching for siblings in the Blandford registration district? East Stour, West Stour and Stour Provost come under Shaftesbury registration district, not Blandford.

There are plenty of MYALL/MYALLS/MIALL/MIALLS/MILES births registered in Shaftesbury. Have you tried searching FreeBMD for all these possible spellings in that district, and perhaps use the phonetic surname check-box as well?

Apologies if I've missed the point.

I noticed a Samuel Myalls, a widower, got married in 1842. I know times were very tough to put food on the table in those days and it occurred to me that after Harriet was born they could have moved to East Stour to hopefully better themselves. If Albert's mother died after he was born that might explain why he wasn't registered. Also, I saw a Samuel Myall (not Myalls) get married in 1842 and he was a widower. Sometimes I find success if I can spot one or two moves or some consistency in information over a period of time. I'm looking at anything and everything.

wmyalls

I'm the great,great,great grandson of albert miles . I could never find any information about his life in england until I stumbled onto this sight wow. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by wmyalls View Post
    I'm the great,great,great grandson of albert miles . I could never find any information about his life in england until I stumbled onto this sight wow. thank you
    We have to be careful here. The information on his birth date and place came from him and the caveat is we know he was a stowaway on a ship so whether he was truthful on his origins might be questioned if he is running away and trying to hide or divert where he came from. The other is indications so far seem to indicate he is from Dorset, time will tell. We have headstones of he and his wife and he insisted the correct spelling for his surname was Myalls.

Default Albert Myalls born Aug 14 1838 East Stour Dor

Quote Originally Posted by wmyalls View Post
    I have photographs of the headstones for both your GGG grandparents Albert Myalls and his wife Elizabeth Vallis.
    They had 7 children all born in Coomb's Cove.
    My email contact info is btcollingwood @ gmail.com
    Look forward to hearing from you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast