Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chilterns

Default Pains Lane/St. George's

Does anyone know where Old Road and Lower Lane, St. George's would be in 1861-71 and 10, Pains Lane in 1851.

Pains Lane is the only village with house numbers in Lillishall District 1b for the 1851 Census - No's 1 and 2 are both recorded as Limekiln Bank.

Lizzy9

Hi Chilterns,

I'm unsure whether I've understood your question re Pains Lane, but if I have it right you are trying to locate 10, Pains Lane in 1851? Unfortunately the houses were not numbered on the 1851 census, however if you are looking for a particular person here's the census ref for Pains Lane.

HO107 Piece 1997 Folio 567 Page 18 (Crown copyright in care of TNA)

Lizzy9

Ignore the above, number 10 is here: HO107 piece 1998 folio 38 page 22 (Crown copyright in care of TNA)

Brick wall demolition expert!

As far as I can tell from the following two sources, Pains Lane is an old name for St Georges. According to this first source below, Pains Lane was renamed St Georges in 19th century.

members.shaw.ca/vtromp/oaken.html (put https:// in front)

According to this next source Pain's Lane was represented by Duke Street, St. George's in 1980. See the last paragraph.

british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18108 (put www. in front)

Even with this information and the enumerators description of the district it is still hard to pin down the precise location. The nearest I can find for Limekiln Bank and Duke St is here:-

Google Map of Limekiln Bank

Google Map of Duke Street

There is another Limekiln Bank though, slightly further north, next to Limekiln Lane just over from Wellington Road. See this British Listed Buildings page and look at the street maps.

britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-362268-limekiln-bank-10-lilleshall-and-donningt/map (put www. in front)

As far as Old Road is concerned. The enumerator says in 1861 that the Old Road leads to Donnington, which isn't that helpful.

I see that William Ward and others were living at 10 Pains Lane in 1851 and then at Old Road in 1861. He may well have stayed put between those dates, with the name of the area around him changing.

You may have to get hold of an Old Map to sort out an exact location. I imagine there were far fewer roads in those times and much will have changed.

Slater's Directory of Glos, Herefs......1859

SHIFFNALL - with the Parish of Lilleshall, Pain's Lane and Neighbourhoods.
    Four miles from Shiffnall, and the like distance from Wellington, is Pain's Lane (commonly called Donnington Wood) in the Parish of Lilleshall.....

Slater's....1868

OAKENGATES - with Donington, Donington Wood, Hollinswood, Priors Lee, St George's (late Pain's Lane), Snedhill, Wombridge and Wrockwardine Wood

St George's (late Pain's Lane) is a large and populous village, and ecclesiastical district, taken from the parishes of Wrockwardine, Shiffnall and Lilleshall, four miles east from Wellington, four north west from Shiffnall and about half a mile from Oakengates, situate on the old Watling-street turnpike road.....

chilterns

Thanks for that Lizzy9, I was just wondering if anyone had any clues as to the location of No. 10 Pains Lane before it became St. George's in 1862.

chilterns

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Slater's Directory of Glos, Herefs......1859

SHIFFNALL - with the Parish of Lilleshall, Pain's Lane and Neighbourhoods.
    Four miles from Shiffnall, and the like distance from Wellington, is Pain's Lane (commonly called Donnington Wood) in the Parish of Lilleshall.....

Slater's....1868

OAKENGATES - with Donington, Donington Wood, Hollinswood, Priors Lee, St George's (late Pain's Lane), Snedhill, Wombridge and Wrockwardine Wood

St George's (late Pain's Lane) is a large and populous village, and ecclesiastical district, taken from the parishes of Wrockwardine, Shiffnall and Lilleshall, four miles east from Wellington, four north west from Shiffnall and about half a mile from Oakengates, situate on the old Watling-street turnpike road.....
    Thanks for the information - yes Pains Lane became St. George's after a Public Meeting at the George Hotel in 1862 organised by the Vicar, where it was agreed to rename the village St. George's (not sure if the apostrophe should be there).

Mel

Lizzy9

Hi Mel,

Old Road in 1861 is here: RG09 piece 1902 folio 100 page 20

chilterns

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    As far as I can tell from the following two sources, Pains Lane is an old name for St Georges. According to this first source below, Pains Lane was renamed St Georges in 19th century.

members.shaw.ca/vtromp/oaken.html (put https:// in front)

According to this next source Pain's Lane was represented by Duke Street, St. George's in 1980. See the last paragraph.

british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18108 (put www. in front)

Even with this information and the enumerators description of the district it is still hard to pin down the precise location. The nearest I can find for Limekiln Bank and Duke St is here:-

Google Map of Limekiln Bank

Google Map of Duke Street

There is another Limekiln Bank though, slightly further north, next to Limekiln Lane just over from Wellington Road. See this British Listed Buildings page and look at the street maps.

britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-362268-limekiln-bank-10-lilleshall-and-donningt/map (put www. in front)

As far as Old Road is concerned. The enumerator says in 1861 that the Old Road leads to Donnington, which isn't that helpful.

I see that William Ward and others were living at 10 Pains Lane in 1851 and then at Old Road in 1861. He may well have stayed put between those dates, with the name of the area around him changing.

You may have to get hold of an Old Map to sort out an exact location. I imagine there were far fewer roads in those times and much will have changed.
    Perhaps I should be in the last column of the Census form - I didn't think of looking at the current map.

It is remarkably unchanged since the 1901 map and I was quite surprised when I visited three years ago. The majority of the houses were much as they were in the 19th Century, albeit with new doors and windows, care of Everest and Anglia.

I would think "my" Limekiln Bank would be the one as part of Watling Street. Incidentally my ggg grandmother Lydia Ward died at/in Lodge Wood in 1849 (cert. just says Lodge Wood not Lodge Wood Lane) and my gg grandmother died in Duke Street in 1892.

I can't find an old map to the east of St. George's - Godfrey don't do one.

My roots seem to be well anchored in St George's

Thanks again,

Mel
    Last edited by chilterns; 26-10-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling

chilterns

Thanks Lizzy

I do have Enoch Davies and family on Old Road in 1861, (folio 101, page 21)(can't find him on the 1851 Census) but just wondered where that was. Looking each side page 20 you have focussed my attention on its location. It seems to be part of Watling Street before it was called Church Street, as does Lime Kiln Bank and it may be noted on an old map to the east of the Godfrey Wrockwardine 1901 map, although Godfrey don't publish one, so i'll have to find another source.

Also see my reply to olliecat on 26 Oct. 01:26 (couldn't sleep)

Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast