Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    angelcake

Default Chesterton Institution

I am trying to find out what happened to Victor James Collis dob 25.7.1899 Abbas Templecombe, Somerset.

His father Edwin Eli Collis died 18.12.1903 at Abbas and mother Susannah Collis (nee Chamberlain) died August 1908 also at Abbas.

In 1911 Victor James Collis is registered as being 11 years old born in Somerset but residing in an Instution at Chesterton Cambs.

Victor also had sibblings one being Wilfred John Collis who died in 1913 in Somerset.

How did he end he in Cambridgeshire away from his family? Anybody know anything about this place was? What happened to him?

Thanks for any info

Angelcake

davidcarca

What was the institution - Chesterton Union Workhouse?

There were a number of Collis' living in Chesterton in 1911. Could any of them have been connected to the Somerset family (none other than Victor show up with a Somerset birthplace)? Where was Victor's father born?

The only reference to a Victor J Collis that I can find subsequent to 1911 is a WW1 medal roll index card where that Victor was a private in the Middlesex Regiment, number G/96903

angelcake

Dear David

Victor's dad and family were all Somerset born with no connections that I know of. If this WW1 medal roll index is for the same chap then it would be great to find out more about him. I know he had an elder half brother (possible full brother as Cousinchanged from being Ernest Edwin Chamberlain to EE Collis - just like Victor's dad Edwin Eli Collis) who settled with his wife Winnie Inwood nee Friar in Windmill Road Cheshunt, Herts in about 1920. Ernie and Winnie had three boys and a duaghter born during and after the mid twenties and I would dearlylove tofind E****, F*******, P**** and J****. I so dearly would love tofind these lost cousins. My dad searched for them for ten years without any luck.

Thanks again
    Last edited by AdeleE; 29-10-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: disguised names of possibly living persons

Name well known on Brit-Gen

angelcake,
    are you a member of any pay to view sites? If so, you can find the marriage partners of the children you mention born to Edwin Collis & Winifred Frier on FreeBMD. Ancestry if you are a member will show you who they married. Genes Reunited appears to have a member showing the Dtr. & her Family,
    Ancestry will also offer another link possibly to V.J. Collis in Military format, & then there are the British phone books.
    Fredericks marriage seems to be on FreeBMD, try 1949. Edmonton.
    It's all out there!

One wonders if the young Victor took off after the death of his Parents,to find relatives who had moved, or just to keep himself in food & housing before being taken in to the workhouse.
    Last edited by Waitabit; 27-10-2010 at 7:38 AM. Reason: add-on
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

angelcake

Dear Waitabit

answer to first question - no.

Thank you - you are a little treasure! I have had a good trawl through FreeBMD and found some great possibles for the three boys marriages. I have tried Genes Reunited but not able to find J**** E** Collis or anyone with links to her so I am stuck a bit there (she was born 1931) As for the phone books I'll check out the BT directories but not sure where to start - not a problem though as I have been looking for the last 12 years for my dad's cousins - I just have to keep rooting around

Thanks again for help and advice - sometimes you can't always see the obvious and it does help to have fresh eyes looking at the problem

Angelcake
    Last edited by AdeleE; 29-10-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: disguised name of potentially living person

Angelcake,
    it may well be worth a trial membership in one of the pay to view sites or just a few credits. J****' marriage can't really be proven with just the second initial being used, unless you contact someone who has her in their tree.

This one probably to be found in Hertfordshire. 1952 marriage not yet transcribed to FreeBMD I think. Likewise, a small joining fee is required for Genes Reunited but often so worthwhile.
    Last edited by AdeleE; 29-10-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: disguised name of possibly living person
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Angelcake, Sue has given news of an Ancestry 'freebie' here

Free Access to Military Records 7-14 Nov

You may find news of some of your Family members here.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 02-11-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Happy Families
    Wendy

angelcake

Dear Waitabit and all

Getting there slowly - I can confirm that V..... J.....Collis is definately from the family I am looking for - again sincere thanks to Waitabit for her help and suggestions and info - thank you thank you

E..... E.... Collis details also confirm link back to Templecombe in Somerset.Still need to find his death record.

I think the J.... E.. Collis marriage to R.. Hewitt is another lead to follow up in Ware - the details being:-

J..... E.. Collis
    Spouse Surname: Hewett
    Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1952
    Registration district: Ware
    Registration county (inferred): Hertfordshire
    Volume Number: 4b
    Page Number: 370

From this info I think I may need to move my search to Hertfordshire/Middlesex - any suggestions on how to move this info over?

Again sincere thanks for helping me trying to find this branch

Angelcake

MarkJ

Please remember that details of living people must not be posted on the forum. Please use the PM system if you can assist.

AnnHood

I've only just come across your original post & the subsequent posts. No one seems to have informed you that the Chesterton institute was the Workhouse which eventually became an old people's home in the 20th century. Also BMD were registered in Chesterton as the main Cambridge registration office for many years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast