Default Wm Williams, Barry, Drill Instructor 1915

I have in my possession a pot, I suppose it would have been called a rose bowl when it was made. It is, I believe pewter, although it has been polished with silver polish .

It is engraved thus:
    Presented to Mr Wm Williams by the members of a Barry Drill Class as a token of appreciation for services rendered as instructor. 1915.

This has come to us through my husband's grandmother, who was given it by her sister. The sister was, I think, married to the aforesaid Wm Williams.
    I am just curious about Mr Williams and his Drill class and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of more information.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Jeuel

I'm guessing it was a Home Guard type of drill. You'd probably need to contact the relevant local history centre/archives.

That's what I thought. I was hoping against hope that it wouldn't need a trip to the all singing, all dancing new record office in Cardiff. Ah well.

~sigh~

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is it possible Ladkyis that you find a contact no. here which will help?

www.
    barrywales.co.uk/index.asp
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

porthkerry

hi ladykiss, part of the barry drill hall is still up and running as an army cadet training facility, the rest of it is now a funeral directors (adam's) there should be info on your story in the old barry herald and barry and district newspapers they are held in barry library.
    best of luck, trellisick.

OH that sounds good. I'll have to find someone to take a look at them for me - I rarely go out now.

Thank you for the information

I'm sorry that my reply is too late for Ann to read, but I hope someone from her family may find this.

My great-grandfather was WM Williams of Old Village Road, Barry. His wife (possibly the great aunt mentioned above) was Rose Emily Richards of Llanelli. Is this the correct WM? The dates are right. He was a well-known music teacher but we didn't know anything about him being a drill instructor. Would be fascinating to find out.

Regards,

E