Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default William SINCLAIR b. 1766

Is it possible that William was born in Harray, Orkney and registered in Reay, Caithness?

The information I have on William Sinclair (my 4th Great Grandfather) is that he was born in1766 East-on-Quay, Harray Orkney. His father's name Alex, brother Thomas and sisters Ann and Mary. He came to Canada in 1792 and died here 20 April 1818. There is a wealth of information of his time in Canada but nothing back in Scotland.

I found this William Sinclair on Scotlands People website - 18/02/1766 SINCLAIR WILLIAM father -ALEXR. SINCLAIR/ M registered in the parish REAY /CAITHNESS.

I have tried to find his siblings Thomas, Ann and Mary Sinclair but haven't been able to connect all three with a father named Alexander.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Laura

claymore

Default William Sinclair Orkney and Canada

Laura...I too am serching William Sinclair family. Looking for a Sinclair male descendent of this line for DNA testing. Do you know of any male Sinclairs.

Please contact me I may have some info for you also.....rjsincathotmaildotcom
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 21-03-2011 at 1:29 AM. Reason: edited email address to prevent spammers

strawberrymivvy

Hi Laura

Not sure if you've come across this site, but it has a fair few transcriptions of Orkney records

https://www.cursiter (dot) com/

I obviously don't have much information on Alexander, but there is a marriage of an Alexander Sinclair to Helen Flett in 1752 which could fit if William wasn't the eldest child, or was born a few years after his parents' marriage

I also found details of another researcher looking into the Sinclairs of Harray, not sure if you've been in touch previously

Amelia Moar, Ballarat, Harray, Orkney, Scotland. KW17 2LE

Good luck!

claymore

https://
    hallnjean.wordpress.com/seafarers/captain-colin-robertson-sinclair/

www.
    fionamsinclair.co.uk/genealogy/Isles/Estaquoy.htm[/url] Alexander..........

https://
    hallnjean.wordpress.com/seafarers/captain-colin-robertson-sinclair/family-network-of-captain-colin-robertson-sinclair/will-of-william-sinclair/

www.
    gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/biographical/s/sinclair_william-sr1782-1818.pdf Hudsons Bay records

walkinbalance

Dear Laura.... my family (Mom's) maiden name spencer , her dad william is ggreat grandson of anne sinclair married to john spencer. anne is the daughter of willam sinclair b.1766 harray orkney . we have been searching as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverside3 View Post
    Is it possible that William was born in Harray, Orkney and registered in Reay, Caithness?

The information I have on William Sinclair (my 4th Great Grandfather) is that he was born in1766 East-on-Quay, Harray Orkney. His father's name Alex, brother Thomas and sisters Ann and Mary. He came to Canada in 1792 and died here 20 April 1818. There is a wealth of information of his time in Canada but nothing back in Scotland.

I found this William Sinclair on Scotlands People website - 18/02/1766 SINCLAIR WILLIAM father -ALEXR. SINCLAIR/ M registered in the parish REAY /CAITHNESS.

I have tried to find his siblings Thomas, Ann and Mary Sinclair but haven't been able to connect all three with a father named Alexander.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Laura

Default William Sinclair 1766

Quote Originally Posted by walkinbalance View Post
    Dear Laura.... my family (Mom's) maiden name spencer , her dad william is ggreat grandson of anne sinclair married to john spencer. anne is the daughter of willam sinclair b.1766 harray orkney . we have been searching as well.
    Hello, I am descended from Catherine, Ann's sister. My sister received this information from the Orkney Library- Archives Department.
    Orcadian Families
    SINCLAIR of ESTAQUOY
    Generation One
    Thomas SINCLAIR (1) fl. C. 1540 – 1600 appears in the Rental of 1595 for Nettlar, Harray.

Generation Two
    James Sinclair (2) fl. C. 1570 – 1627, is noted as tenant of Newclett( now Nettleter) and Estaquoy in a charter produced 9/6/1620 by Bishop Graham to Hew Halcro and Jean Stewart, his spouse. He died in April 1627 and at Kirkwall, 1/6/1631 his Testament Dative was given up by his widow, Christian Spence, in the name of their four lawful children, exrs. Dative to their said father. His estate, consisting of horses, cattle, and grain, is valued at $105 : 6 : 8, to be divided in three parts. He owes the King’s tacksmen and chamberlains for his lands $5, and other sums.
    Issue: 1 -4
    1. (3) Alexander , his successor.
    2. (4) Helen;
    3. (5) Espeth;
    4. (6) Katherine
    NOTE: John SINCLAIR in Huntskarth and Katherine Flett, his wife, grant charter of Netleter, 8/5/1634, to which Robert Sinclair in Overbrough is a witness.
    Generation Three
    Alexander SINCLAIR (3) in Estaquoy compeared, 29/4/1665, holding Charter of Feu-farm in E. in N. in Harray, to which John Sinclair in Oback, there, is one of the witnesses; on 7/5/1666 How is tenanted by John and Alexr. S., there; on 28/2/1667 he (Alexr. S. in How) acquires from Wm. Corrigill his udal lands there; in the Valuatn. Of 1671 A. S. is noted for his lands of N.; he compeard, 29/12, s.y. with charter of Alien of lands in How, Harray; sustained inhibition, 29/8/1677; on 28/8/1680 he gave stait, etc. to his eldest son John and youngest son Magnus of land in Netleter, with houses, etc. and died in Aug. 1687, consequent upon which Inventory is given at Kirkwall, 19/10/1687, by Patrick S., youngest son and only execr., his cautioner being Magnus S. in E., and there is mentioned Geo. S. in Sanwick.
    Issue: 1 – 5
    1. (7) John, his successor
    2. (8) James (James and Thomas attest the charter to their brothers on 28/5/1680)
    3. (9) Thomas
    4. (10) Magnus, afterwards of Estaquoy.
    5. (11) Patrick, above-mentioned, 19/10/1687
    Generation Four
    And Issue: 1 – 8.
    John Sinclair (7) received charter from his father, on 28/5/1680, of land in Netleter; he and his bro. Magnus, sons of A.S. of E., were witnesses, 29/12/1680, he died before 5/8/1707, and was succeeded by his eldest son.
    1. (12) Alexander Sinclair in Northbrek, in Bingaquoy, Firth.
    Magnus Sinclair (10) has charter of land in N., 28/5/1680; is witness, 29/12, s.y.; on 5/8/1707 compears holding disposn. From his late bro. John S. of E. of half of Estaquoy and part of How. His eldest son was
    1. (13) James, presently of Estaquoy who has several record appearances
    Generation Five
    And Issue: 1 –
    Alexr. Sinclair (12) in Northbrek, in Bingaquoy, Firth, gave letters of disposn. Of some land in How (tenanted by Magnus S.) to the Rev. Thomas Baikie; produced 1/8/1717. My Grandfather was ”infeft therein on 28/2/1667, now 50 years ago, and the property “came from the Corrigills or that Ilk”. An examination of Firth records may disclose descendants.
    James Sinclair (13) of Estaquoy has mention, 23/2/1710; on 8/3/1717 he compeared as of E., and with him Margaret Louttit, his spouse, to whom he gave life rent in the House and lands of E.; he witnessed a Harray conveyance, 15/9/1740; and of 25/2/1749 granted Letters of Disposn. To Wm. Smith, merchant in Stromness, of lands in E., with houses, etc., near the lands there possessed by Magnus Flett in Conzier (produced 10/3/1752).
    Issue, seemingly:
    1. (14) Alexander, next of Estaquoy.
    Generation Six
    Alexr. Sinclair (14) of Estaquoy has entry in the Harray Cess-books for 1790 and 1799. The following brothers and sisters are probably his children:
    1. (15) William born 1766
    2. (16) Thomas born 1770
    3. (17) Ann; Mrs. Hugh Kirkness
    4. (18) Mary, living in 1818
    Generation Seven
    And Issue: 1 – 13
    William Sinclair (15) of Estaquoy, from the Orkney Islands, born in 1766, at an early age proceeded to Canada, where entering the service of the Hon. The Hudson Bay Co., he became Governor of Fort York, and Chief Factor for the Company. The inscription on his tombstone, whis was erected at York Factory reads
    Sacred
    To the Memory of
    Wm. Sinclair
    Chief Factor
    Hon. HBCo’s Service
    Died 20th April 1818
    Age 52
    “Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth, and my age as nothing before thee. Verily every man at his best estate is altogether vanity.”
    Erected as a testimony of affection by his son. In his Will he describes himself simply “of Orkney”, and his bequest to his brother Thomas reas: “And I hereby declare it to be my will and desire to bequeath to my beloved brother, Thomas Sinclair, as a particular mark of my brotherly affection, the estate known by the name of East on Quay in the Parish of Harra, Island of Pomona, comprising a farm-house, and detached cottage. He also bequeathed to his beloved sisters Ann and Mary, the sum of One Hundred Pounds Sterling, each. He married Margaret Nahoway, a Euro-Canadian (The New Nation) who, him surviving died at an advanced age in the spring of 1863 at St. John’s near Winnipeg, and has burial in St. John’s Cemetary.
    Issue:
    1. William, the eldest son.
    2. James, md. And left issue
    3. Thomas md. And left issue
    4. John, mentioned in 1818, in Will of father
    5. Colin-Robertson, Youngest son d. s. p.
    6. Phoebe;
    7. Catherine
    8. Nancy
    9. Jean
    10. Mary
    11. Ann
    12. Elizabeth
    These all married, and all had issue except Colin. Jean md James Kirkness in Sandwick, Orkney. Colin Inkster, Sheriff of Winnipeg, is a son of one of the daughters.

If you follow this link https://www.
    fionamsinclair.co.uk/genealogy/Isles/Estaquoy.htm you will also find this information but only up to James Sinclair circa 1710.
    I hope this helps,
    Laura

walkinbalance

Hello again Laura! Family tree starting with my mom. Daisy b.Fort George Que ,Daughter of William Spencer b.Fort George Que ,Son of Walter Spencer, Son of Miles Spencer -His parents are John Hodges Spencer- wife Anne Sinclair. few years ago our family Spencers from the north and Spencers from Southern Ontario met for the first time in Southampton, Ontario where Miles Spencer and Family move to upon Miles retirement from H.B.C. Fort George Que. my sister is in contact Mr.Neil Ray, who posted on the clan sinclair website on William Sinclair b.1766 Harray Orkney. Back in the 70's N.F.B of Can filmed a doc. about "THE FIDDLERS OF JAMES BAY,My uncle Ray Spencer and Robert M'cleod travelled to the Orkney's.

mts63

Hi, My name is Mary Sinclair daughter of Thomas Pringle Sinclair, son of William Sinclair (from scotland) who ancestery and coat of arms goes back to caithness.

Thomas (my dad) was born in Donegal or Belfast 2/3/39 married Mary Elizabeth Doyle 28/3/38 from the Whiterock in West Belfast, Northern Ireland. They had 6 children - Annie, Thomas, Mary, Geraldine, Elizabeth aka Eilish, Margaret.

We come from the Doyle - Gillhooly clan and it is beleived the the Venerable Margaret Sinclair (in the catholic church) is related but I dont know for sure. You can get little pamphlets on her life from the CTS Catholic Truth Society.

Thomas had two brothers - Arthur and William aka Billy (nicknamed the sticker) (rip)
    Mary had many (14) brothers and sisters, some emmigrated to America (now in Buffalo New York) some still in Belfast, the rest have died. Thomas is the only surviving sinclair of his mother, now in ill health. Mary is the sole girl with three brothers (Robert, Seamus, Thomas) left in their line.

Thomas and Mary have 18 grandchildren, I think 6 great grandchildren and two expected anytime now and February.

Mum's Dad was James Doyle and Dad's Father was William Sinclair who came from scotland.

William Sinclair (Dad's brother) was married to Maureen, he was also in the Navy, I think he was in Hong Kong/China at some stage). I think he had kids but dont know where they are now.

Arthur was married to Shirley, who emmigrated to either new zealand or australia.

if you want to contact me please do - mts63 AT talktalk DOT net

mts63

Oh, I forgot,

Granny Sinclair (Elizabeth aka Lily) her mother (rip) was known as Quinn, we also have mac/mc Donald, Corrigan, Adams,

We already have our Genealogy done by my relative James Doyle in America by My Heritage.

Does all this help you trace back a bit??? Or help with links??????

Kind Regards

Mary

mts63

Hi claymore, My grandad was William Sinclair and one of his sons also was a William Sinclair.

Grandad came from scotland married Elizabeth Quinn, they had three sons - Arthur, William (aka Billy or the Sticker) and Thomas (Pringle) Sinclair. Thomas is the only surviving relative of this family who lives in London married to Mary Elizabeth (nee Doyle) from Belfast.

Uncle Billy married someone called Maureen - I dont know where they are know. But the name Alex rings a bell, it could be one of his sons.

Im unsure if it was Billy's family or uncle Arthur's family who emmigrated to New Zealand/Australia. But that name Alex rings a bell, I think it may have been Billy's son.

I would say (if it is Alex) he would be my age, in his forties. If you need more info. email me on mts63 AT talktalk DOT net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast