Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    wayfarer

Default Roe's in Oakham/Rutland.

I am trying to find some information about my great-great grandfather who is listed on several census returns as being from Oakham. I calculate his birth to be around 1809 from the ages given, he appears on the 1851 census as age 42, trade Tailor Journeyman, married to Letitia Roe and living in the Homerton area of East London. He also appears on the 1841 census living in Aldersgate.
    As the majority of both sides of my family lived in the East End over the decades, I'm curious as to what took my g g Grandfather South? Love - or work?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Can you post his name, please?

wayfarer

Whoops , sorry. His name was Robert Roe
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Can you post his name, please?

birdlip

Hi there,

IGI has two baptisms for Robert ROWE and Latitia/Letitia in Bray, Berkshire [C018594]:

Robert 13 Feb 1831
    William Henry 09 Oct 1831

Is it possible they lived there for a while before London? Or is this a different couple?

You haven't found where they married?

birdlip

Not sure if this is your Robert, but it seems this is the above couples marriage:

Robert ROE/ Lettice LOVEGROVE 27 April 1829

birdlip

Lovegrove seems to be a Barkshire name, but there are Ro(w)(e)'s in Berks too, including some Roberts going way back.....looking less likely this is your Robert, sorry!

wayfarer

This is highly possible as this same combination has been given to me by someone else. Date-wise is seems highly likely and I won't dismiss it. I don't suppose you have any info where this marriage took place?
    My thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Not sure if this is your Robert, but it seems this is the above couples marriage:

Robert ROE/ Lettice LOVEGROVE 27 April 1829

wayfarer

birdlip, I'm having a job to keep up with you!!! I'm still not dismissing this as 1851 has Letitia born in Harpsden, Oxfordshire. Given that Rutland and Oxon are quite a way apart, there is some geographic factor that brought this couple together. You'd have the same sort of query if you were someone in the future trying to work out how I came to be here in the Midlands! As always, my thanks
    Lovegrove seems to be a Barkshire name, but there are Ro(w)(e)'s in Berks too, including some Roberts going way back.....looking less likely this is your Robert, sorry!
    Last edited by wayfarer; 06-10-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: miss spelling

birdlip

Lovegrove seems to be a Barkshire name,
    Barkshire? (woof woof) too late to edit!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer
    As the majority of both sides of my family lived in the East End over the decades, I'm curious as to what took my g g Grandfather South? Love - or work?
    The practical reason of work resulted in much migration, but occasionally family who moved somewhere let others in their family know there were opportunities. Did your chap move onto London because he was related to the chap in HO107/1533 f417 p31 sch.99? (reference to original census held in TNA) - who moved to London first?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast