Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    wayfarer

I did that, and I'm convinced that is the Leticia/Lettice in question. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    If you're interested in LOVEGROVE, you need to look at Roger Lovegrove's Information Centre. The 1829 marriage at Bray is indexed there. Lettice was a spinster and of the parish.

birdlip

I don't want to tear myself away, but I can't keep my eyes open any longer..
    I'll be interested to see where this ends up by breakfast time .....night night folks.

birdlip

Where did you all get to?

janbooth

Baptism of a John ROE on 7 October 1801 son of the Thomas & Ann I mentioned. As they could be prime candidates for your Robert's parents, here are the details of their other children:

19 March 1798 James ROE baptised
    7 February 1799 William ROE baptised
    12 February 1805 Sarah ROE baptised
    28 July 1809 Hannah ROE baptised

What I hadn't noticed previously was the baptism on 2 April 1797 of an Alex ROE son of Thomas & Sarah followed by a burial for Alex on 12 April 1797. I did wonder if Sarah was a previous wife for Thomas, but I can't find a burial for her at Oakham.

Thomas ROE was baptised 12 September 1768 at Oakham, parents William & Mary. They had 4 other children all baptised at Oakham, John 15 September 1760, James 28 April 1762, Mary 1 July 1766 and William 26 June 1780.

Janet

wayfarer

Since I posted this thread, I've found out more about John Roe, and it seems almost a certainty that he was related to Robert Roe Snr.
    The 1861 census that I quoted has John Roe 58, (Oakham) Police officer, wife Rebecca 56 (b Kingston Surrey) plus Harriet White 25, House servant of Feltham Middx. Also living at the same address of 24 Providence Row, Shoreditch are John F Johnson (head??) 31 Stationer & bookseller, London, his wife Rebecca W A, 32, son Henry 3 and daughter Rebecca infant. Moving forward to the 1871 census John Roe ends the family list as father-in-law 58 widower Cheif Officer, Police courts. The family he is living with at 6 Hansley Rd, Hackney is - John F Johnson, Inspector Weights & measures, wife Rebecca son Henry 13, daughter Rebecca 10 & daughter Emily 8. The name Johnson also appears in the family as Robert Roe snr married Mary Ann Johnson.
    Then if I backtrack to the 1861 census, I have Tower Hamlets returns with John Roe 45 Police officer living at 99 Clifton St, Shoreditch with wife Rebecca 44 and daughter Rebecca 22 teacher of music. (is MA following her name in 1871 Master of Arts & not initials??). Going back lastly to the hardly readable 1841 census for Tower Hamlets, we have a William ??? 30 Head, wife Sarah 25, both born in County. Then there is John Roe 35 Tailor and wife Mary Roe 35, both non County. Also in the house is a William Dawes? 30. Robert Roe senior was a tailor also, did they serve time together? My thoughts are that these were brothers, John bettering himself, but will I ever know about other Roe's from Oakham?? Any help or thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
    This is interesting. I have also come accross a John Roe aged 58 on the 1861 census. He is a police officer, born Oakham, married to Rebecca and also living in the 24 Providence Row (Road?) area in the Shoreditch area. This is all very close to the general family areas for Robert Roe (jnr)& his son Richard. For some reason, Richard moved south of the Thames to Southwark and in later years moved back across the river to various regions of the East End.
    Last edited by wayfarer; 13-10-2010 at 6:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123