Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    janbooth

I can't find a baptism for a Robert ROE/ROWE c1809 on the PR transcripts of Oakham. There is a Thomas & Ann ROE having children baptised in Oakham between 1798 & 1809 but not a Robert amongst them.

Janet

birdlip

Yes, datewise I agree its a good fit.
    Where was Letitia born was going to be my next question!
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a look at the entry in the Bray register, hopefully there may be some more details.. occupation, home parish?

birdlip

I just looked up Harpsden on google maps, I didn't realise its only about 5 miles from Bray!
    Looking a bit more plausible.

janbooth

Default Robert ROE

However, could this be explained by the fact that the actual 1851 census entry for Robert shows him as born Oakland Rutlandshire which according to a Google search is part of Clipsham, Rutland. Don't know this part of the country well enough (although some of my ancestors lived there) to know whether Clipsham (although it appears to have its own church) would come under Oakham parish registers but if not it might explain the lack of baptism for Robert at Oakham.

Janet

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I can't find a baptism for a Robert ROE/ROWE c1809 on the PR transcripts of Oakham. There is a Thomas & Ann ROE having children baptised in Oakham between 1798 & 1809 but not a Robert amongst them.

Janet
    Hi Janet, I wonder what happened after 1809.. one of them died, or did they move? Robert may have been born in Oakham, but baptised at the new place.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you're interested in LOVEGROVE, you need to look at Roger Lovegrove's Information Centre. The 1829 marriage at Bray is indexed there. Lettice was a spinster and of the parish.

wayfarer

They could do it in the past so I'm sure we'll forgive you now. It SOUNDS the same anyway! I've heard worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Barkshire? (woof woof) too late to edit!

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
    They could do it in the past so I'm sure we'll forgive you now. It SOUNDS the same anyway! I've heard worse.
    I like that! My inventive spelling/typo is just keeping up a grand tradition?

wayfarer

This is interesting. I have also come accross a John Roe aged 58 on the 1861 census. He is a police officer, born Oakham, married to Rebecca and also living in the 24 Providence Row (Road?) area in the Shoreditch area. This is all very close to the general family areas for Robert Roe (jnr)& his son Richard. For some reason, Richard moved south of the Thames to Southwark and in later years moved back across the river to various regions of the East End.
    Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post

Janet

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer
    This is interesting. I have also come accross a John Roe aged 58 on the 1861 census.
    See message no. 10 on page 1 for him in 1851

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast