Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    scoobie

Default OPENSHAW MANCHESTER INNS

Can anybody help ,, I have my GGGgrandfathers will and it shows that he died at the Sir Charles Napier Inn Openshaw Manchester in 1869. does anyone know where this Inn was please.

Jan1954

Hello,

Openshaw was in the Chorlton Registration District. According to TNA's Chorlton Registration District 1861 Census Street Index, the Sir Charles Napier Inn was in Higher Sheffield Street. Reference: RG 9/2869, folio 124-125.

I hope that this helps.

scoobie

Thankyou so much Jan . I will go and look for that now

scoobie

I have checked the census record for 1861 on the RG9/2869 124-125 folio and this Sir charles Napier Inn was in Ancoats.
    Which is next to Openshaw. Therefore my next question is did Ancoats merge into Openshaw by 1869? Or was there an Inn with this name in both towns ? I will be grateful for any more help please.

scoobie

Default Sorry previous message i inputted wrong town

I have checked the census record for 1861 on the RG9/2869 124-125 folio and this Sir charles Napier Inn was in Ardwick.
    Which is next to Openshaw. Therefore my next question is did Ardwick merge into Openshaw by 1869? Or was there an Inn with this name in both towns ? I will be grateful for any more help please.

Famous for offering help & advice

The 1871 census has a Sir Charles Napier public house RG10/3997, folio 109. Check if this is the same one. It says it is on Medlock Street, which I believe is also in Ardwick. There may have been another one in Openshaw, or the informant was not sure of the district?.
    Looking at directories for this time, no pub of that name shows up.
    What was the sub-district on the death certificate? I am presuming the district was Chorlton.

scoobie

Thanks for the reply,
    I am using the info off the probate record to try and trace the location. It definately says Openshaw.

I will check the 1871 now Thanks

billysax

Ardwick and Openshaw are seperate districts of Manchester. Higher Sheffield St is in Ardwick. Photographic records of 1969 show only one pub, the Steam Engine Tavern. Whether this was once the Sir Charles Napier I don't know. Medlock St is off Liverpool Rd on the border with Salford.

Famous for offering help & advice

On an 1849 map of Manchester there is a Medlock street running from London Road to Tipping Street, south of London Road railway station (Piccadilly today). The pub on the corner is the Royal Oak.
    Streets as well as pubs seemed to change names! But it is well in Ardwick.

billysax

You are ,of course, correct Mona. It's on the 1857 map in the position you state. On the 1930 map, it seems to have been absorbed into Tipping Street. Looking at a recent A-Z of the area it has disappeared under the Mancunian Way. What remains of Tipping St is a very short stretch running off Charlton Place which is on the 1857 map. Doesn't get us much further in the search for the Sir Charles Napier unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast