Valued member of Brit-Gen Belinda1969's Avatar

Default John William Buxton 1884

Hi

Im looking for any information on John William Buxton,he was my grandmothers brother,but i cannot seem to find out anything on him at all....All i have is as follows

John William Buxton Born 1884 Sutton Bridge Lincolnshire....1891 lived in Sutton Bridge...
    There is a entry on the 1901 census which i do beleive is him as the birth place is right,also year of birth.....Crew,Vessels,Dorset....But he is under the name of William Buxton?
    Looked on 1911 but cannot seem to find him

His parents were John Chapman Buxton & Annie Buxton (Hayes)

Any help would definately help please

Thanks

Belinda

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda1969 View Post

There is a entry on the 1901 census which i do beleive is him as the birth place is right,also year of birth.....Crew,Vessels,Dorset....But he is under the name of William Buxton?
    That seems the correct entry to me. Now you need to see his Navy Service Record here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...nline/navy.asp - you'll need to look at Registers of Seamen's Services (ADM 139, ADM 188).

Good luck.

malcolm99

Reputation beyond repute

Crew,Vessels,Dorset....But he is under the name of William Buxton?
    Yes indeed but if you look at cover of the enumeration book you'll see that the Alexandra was a Royal Navy ship (a second class battleship to be precise). This suggests that it might be worth searching the Registers of Seamen's Services in DocumentsOnline.

If you do that you'll find that John William BUXTON born 1884 Sutton Bridge is indeed listed.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=6

Now you can download the document and find out all his life on the foamy brine

Valued member of Brit-Gen Belinda1969's Avatar

Thankyou so much Malcolm & Peter for your help :-)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, I am a John William Buxton, my father was born in Sutton bridge his name was Richard John Buxton 1948-2007 his dad was called George Buxton who married a Francis smith.

Any relation do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda1969 View Post
    Hi

Im looking for any information on John William Buxton,he was my grandmothers brother,but i cannot seem to find out anything on him at all....All i have is as follows

John William Buxton Born 1884 Sutton Bridge Lincolnshire....1891 lived in Sutton Bridge...
    Looked on 1911 but cannot seem to find him

His parents were John Chapman Buxton & Annie Buxton (Hayes)

Any help would definately help please

Thanks

Belinda