Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Noel Boulsoverr

Default Chapelizod Dublin

I am looking for info on Andrew Joseph Craig , family home New rRow Chapelizod. His marrfiage certificate of 28th August 1931 in Islington gives his father's name as James Craig described as a tramways inspector. I have hunted throuigh 1901 and 1911 census records of whole of Palmerston and have found two Craig families both in both censuse though different addresses. I can find nothing of James in either nor of Andrew Joseph in 1911 What is my best source of birth details, please, civil or church?

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there
    You may already have seen this and discounted them but -
    Keying in James Craig all counties in the 1911 Irish census brought up 2nd from the top a James Craig age 35 of New Row Dublin with a son Andrew age 8 included.

The above family are also in the 1901 census but at house 30 New Row (at house 48 in 1911)

The children's births are not coming up on either Roots Ireland or Dublin Heritage online sites that I can see so far but I think they are poss on the LDS Family search pilot , tho no parents given. ( Kevin 1900, Andrew 1902 and Norah 1907) You can order the film from a LDS family centre.

LDS do seem to hold the records of the local RC church for Chapelizod.

According to the About Us page of the GRO Dublin'es website, if you write to them with as many details as possible they will (for a fee) try to find the birth and copy the certificate for you.

So if you think that the Oct - Dec 1902 birth for the above Andrew Craig (no Joseph middle name given) possibly son of James and Bridget of New Row, is likely to be the correct one then you could try contacting them with these details. Of course it could be a different Andrew Craig.

Noel Boulsoverr

Thanks for 4 helpful posts. I will go back to the Census returns. Joseph was certainly born in 1902 after 18th August and he had a sister Nora but no awareness in family of kevin. I have an LDS Family history centre down the road from my flat which has helped me in other searches over the years so I will follow up all your ideas. many thanks
    According to family memories of my son in law, his grandfather james was in 1931 a tramways inspector . He had aslo reputedly been a bit of a rebel in the 1916 Easter Rising!!

Hope you have found him.
    Had another look at the LDS family search pilot site and there is a marriage worth considering April - June 1899 Dublin North reg district for a James Craig, but no spouse given.

Noel Boulsoverr

I HAVE INDEED FOUND THE CENSUS PAGES AND HAVE NOW SENT OFF REQUEST FOR SEARCH FOR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE FOR 1899 GIVING ANDREW CRAIG AND SPOUSE BRIDGET SURNAME UNKNOWN

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Boulsoverr View Post
    I HAVE INDEED FOUND THE CENSUS PAGES AND HAVE NOW SENT OFF REQUEST FOR SEARCH FOR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE FOR 1899 GIVING ANDREW CRAIG AND SPOUSE BRIDGET SURNAME UNKNOWN
    Hi again
    Expect a typo and you meant James - but the Apri;l - June 1899 marriage is for James Craig (not Andrew) spouse Bridget.

The other record is the Oct - Dec 1902 birth Andrew Craig, parents James and Bridget , possibly of New Row, Dublin

Hope you have success!

And thinking further - Andrew's birth cert would confirm his mother's name
    Last edited by grisel; 10-10-2010 at 2:56 PM. Reason: to add last sentence

Noel Boulsoverr

Yes I did get name right on my order for the Marriage Cert. my cataract again!!, Will certainly pursue the birth cert but I felt the marriage cert will give me access to details of earlier generation to search. Thanks for your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast