Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jac65

Hi Roger

How about this for a possibility. What if James Ross did in fact marry on 11th June 1848 in New Machar, Aberdeenshire but not to Mary Garden. A few years later James & Mary become a couple but don't marry. When James & Mary are registering their children they are asked a marriage date & place and give the details from 1848 rather than say not married. Its a bit from left field but:

the children were born well away from where James & Mary were born and raised so the information wouldn't have been queried.
    the fact the same date was used several times suggest that it has some meaning.
    it would explain the apparent gap between the alleged marriage and the birth of their first child (unless they lost any earlier births)

Prior to 1855 the IGI for Scotland is mainly the Established Church of Scotland, between 1855 and 1875 the IGI transcribed Scottish births and marriages from the Statutory Registers so if the event was registered it should be on the IGI

If you have marriage certificates for some of the children, they may help identify whether the family was RC or possibly Free Church, if they are RC then you could check the Catholic Parish Records on Scotlandspeople, if they are Free Church or other Non conformist then it might be worth trying to find what churches were in New Machar area in 1848 and where the records might be and check marriages on 11th June for any clues.

Andy

rogtut

Thanks to all who have helped me with this. I've been away for a few days but am now back and will do some more work on this marriage etc. I will let you know how I fare.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,
    I have been researching my family tree and I have been pondering this marriage date for quite a while and then I came upon your post here. I was wondering if you ever came to a solution?! As you noted here, I too found the 1848 date in one of the children's BCs and thought it must have been wrong but I was quite surprised when the same date turned up on more than one BC?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12