Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Noel Boulsoverr

Default Charles Smith 1832 Middlesex

My wife's greatgrandfather was born in London in 1832. He enlisted in the Rifle Brigade in 1851 but was invalided out in 1858 after being wounded at Inkerman.. He moved to Hampsire, married Susan Sivier and had five chilgdren
    He died in Upper Clatford in 1921 . I am eagerly searching for his parish and exact date of birth, with ancestry if available.

Noel Boulsover

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is this their marriage?

Mar 1868 Stockbridge 2c 117
    SIVIER Susan
    SMITH Charles

Do you have their marriage cert? Do you know the name of Charle's father?

pennydog

Hello Noel,

To help us help you, can you give us any more info that you have. Do you have the name of Charles's father? Have you got his marriage cert, which may have other clues in the witnesses and of course his father's name and occupation?

snap Ollicat
    Last edited by pennydog; 27-09-2010 at 8:22 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Boulsoverr View Post
    My wife's greatgrandfather was born in London in 1832. He enlisted in the Rifle Brigade in 1851 but was invalided out in 1858 after being wounded at Inkerman.. He moved to Hampsire, married Susan Sivier and had five chilgdren
    He died in Upper Clatford in 1921 . I am eagerly searching for his parish and exact date of birth, with ancestry if available.

Noel Boulsover
    There is a Charles Smith on 1851 census-born Middlesex 1833 -Army private at Parkhurst Barracks-Hampshire-
    Lists St Lukes Middlesex as birth place.

There is a baptism for St Lukes-Finsbury (middlesex) Charles Smith birth 8 Jan 1833 baptism 11 Jan 1833-parents George and Susannah on Hugh Wallis.
    A marriage cert for Charles and Susanis needed to get a fathers name
    cheers

Also childrens names and apprx brth yr will help find him on later census you could get lucky and find one of his parents living with him in old age....cheers

Noel Boulsoverr

I am amazes vy rapid response from so many people.I have thanked you in dividually but now add the following info which covers or eliminates asome of the suf=ggestions offered.
    I have the marriage certificate dated J

pennydog

Hi Noel - your last post appears to be missing the vital info, perhap you can post details of the marriage cert. again

Have you found Charles on any of the census? - I think this is he in 1881 (now widowed), Clatford Villiage, Upper Clatford

Charles age 47 labourer at iron works born London Middx
    Sophia M age 10 b Gratelty Hants
    Charles H age 8 b Grately Hants
    Walter T age 6 b Andover Hants
    Alice L age 4 b Andover Hants
    Alfred S age 2 b Upper Clatford Hants

RG11/1260/91/2 crown copyright/care of TNA

Noel Boulsoverr

Thanks Full reply is pending but you are quite right. I have much more information held up in the later post because I outran time in editing. Watch this space

malcolm99

I’ve found Charles Smith on the WO97 Chelsea Pensioner’s records (discharge papers). Have you already seen these documents Noel?

He joined up on 20th January 1851 when he was 20 and was 25 yrs 9 months when he was discharged on 9 December 1856 (not 1858). That makes him born in Feb/Mar 1831 (if I’ve done my maths right!). It confirms he was invalided out after Inkerman. His trade is given as a shoemaker.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 28-09-2010 at 8:23 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast