Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mrsjessss

Default George Davies of Lymm Cheshire.

My ggg grandfather was George Davies born in Lymm Cheshire in about 1829. I have found him aged 12 in the 1841 census, living with younger sister Elizabeth aged 10, and someone called Susan Daniel aged 50. As this census does not reveal their ralationship I don't know where to go next. I do not know the names of Georges parents, would someone please help and point me in the right direction. I have also found George in later censuses 1851 and 1861, but am trying to move further back.

Thanks.
    Janet.

Jan1954

The Family Search Pilot site has the following christening:

Elizabeth DAVIES, 22 August 1830, to parents George and Elizabeth at Lymm.

Bearing in mind naming patterns, it could well be that these are George's parents as well, although I could not see his christening. The only George DAVIES that I saw on the site was one in 1832 to parents Samuel and Betty.

Just a thought: do you have George's marriage certificate? That should name his father.

birdlip

Hi there,

Pilot search also has this marriage:

George DAVIES m Susan DANIEL All Saints Runcorn Cheshire 4 Feb 1842, Grooms Father George DAVIES, Brides father Thomas RYLEY

mrsjessss

No I don't, I will look that up and try to find it. Thankyou for your help.

mrsjessss

Daniel /Davies marriage would make sense. I'll send for the cert. see what other info. it holds. Thanks for your help.

birdlip

This could be your George, Hollinfare is only 2.5 miles from Lymm, according to Genuki

George DAVIES bap 17 Jun 1827 Hollinfare Lancs. Parents George DAVIES and Elizabeth, residence Cheshire.

birdlip

A couple of earlier children for the same couple, both baptisms at Hollinfare, parents George DAVIES and Elizabeth:

Samuel DAVIES 10 Dec 1820
    Charlotte DAVIES 13 feb 1825

birdlip

...and this looks like the marriage:

George DAVIES m Elizabeth NORBURY 2 Apr 1820 St Elphins Warrington, Lancs.

mrsjessss

Greetings to you in NSW. I am relaying all replies I get to my cousin in NSW-Berkeley. Barbara Davies, she left England in 1951.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjessss View Post
    My ggg grandfather was George Davies born in Lymm Cheshire in about 1829 ... I am trying to move further back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    do you have George's marriage certificate? That should name his father.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjessss View Post
    No I don't, I will look that up and try to find it.
    There are plenty of possible George DAVIES baptisms online, and no doubt many others that aren't online. But how will you know which is yours?

I think you do need to take Jan's advice and get the marriage certificate for your George DAVIES. This should give his father's name and occupation, which should help you move backwards with more confidence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast