Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Russell Woodward

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieAnn
    The 1860 census lists only 1 Wiiliam Dunnicliff, 1 George Dunnicliff and 1 James Dunnicliff, and they are residing together in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:

William Dunnicliff, 30, Brick Layer,Philadelphia
    Margaret Dunnicliff, 25, ,Philadelphia
    Margaret Dunnicliff, 6, ,Philadelphia
    John Dunnicliff, 3, ,Philadelphia
    Ellen Dunnicliff, 1, ,Philadelphia
    Thomas Dunnicliff, 21, Marine,Philadelphia
    George Dunnicliff, 19, (can't read - looks like Prentice Macked?), Philadelphia
    James Dunnicliff, 30, (ditto), Philadelphia

In the 1870 census, Margaret (William's wife) was living with her daughters Margaret and Ellen in the home of James McConahey, age 66 (her father?) in Philadelphia.

In 1880 Margaret is living alone with her daughters Margaret and Ella.

Debbie
    Dear DebbieAnn

Thank you very much for this information as i have been trying to find the answers to the three females, Margaret, Margaret and Ellen living alone?

I have been able to find a James Dunnicliff who fougt for the confedearacy and was with a Louisiana Regiment (East Baton Rouge) who was killed during the War - i suspect this is the James born in 1830 - possibly brother / relation to William or even a seperate family?

He could also be the James who enlisted in 8th Jan 1858 aged 18 (b 1840) occupation chair painter in Philadelphia - 1st Cav Co E who deserted 14th April 1861 - did they take part in census in Army?
    His guardian is listed as a Thomas although brother was scrawled through

The George Dunnicliff enlisted aged 18 also in 1858 - if this is the George born 1841 then he was 17 when he joined 2nd Dragoons Co H- occupation Labourer was discharged 10th March 1863 (5 years service) stationed at Camp Falmouth

Do you have any details of his appearance in the 1870 census

Thank you agian for you help - being in the UK tracing links like these are very difficult

Thanks again

Russell

Russell Woodward

Dear Debbie Ann

Apologies for the late thank you but i have been away

Great information - im just struggling to find the link too my family

Williams family is most interesting
    I think the James and George were in the Cavalry before the civil war outbreak - do you have any links on Father / mother

Ditto to Edward A Dunnicliff - father English - Mother Irish there names would really help

Many thanks again for your information

Russell Woodward

jcsmitty1212

Question Too many William H. Turners in Civil War

Hope I'm posting this where I'm supposed to, but you all seem to know how to find Civil War participants.

My g-grandfather, William H. Turner, emigrated to the U.S. around 1850 and fought in the Civil War. Only problem is I'm not sure for which side. The family settled in New York City, but may also have lived in Georgia, and I can't find him in the 1860 U.S. census.

What do you do when there are dozens of William Turners listed on these Civil War websites but there is no info to help you find the one you want. His parents were William Henry Turner and Sarah Hopkins, both born in England. His wife was Susan Turner. But since the info provided that I've seen doesn't list relatives, I can't find my guy.

Any suggestions or sites I haven't seen?

Thanks.

jcsmitty1212

Leander

Hi there, Smitty.

Let's do first things first. :-)

Do you have a rough idea of William's age when he emmigrated? A date of birth?

And, yes, you are correct -- if we can find where he was living in 1860 we would have a better idea of which Civil War military record might be the one you want. We could probably narrow down which branch and regiment he served in, as most people enlisted as part of a local effort to raise troops. Regiments were very often strongly correlated to the troops' state and county of origin.

Like you, I can't believe how many William Turners there were in the war. Wow!

There are lots of William Turners who immigrated through New York between 1845 and 1855. There are many in the 1860 census, although I couldn't find any English-born William Turners in Georgia in 1860.

Looking for a William Turner and a Susan Turner in the same household in 1860 NY has proven fruitless. Either William was not yet married, or he and his wife had left the state.

Many people relocated after the war, so there is an even better chance that he and his wife could have lived anywhere in the country, post war. As the railroad infrastructure grew, the push westward became easier and more and more people moved west. And, of course, after the war, many northerners went south to make money from the reconstruction effort. It could get tougher to find them from here.

If you have any helpful details to share about William -- something that might differentiate him from other William Turners -- please let us know.

Btw, if we find that William served in a NYS regiment, I can obtain his service record from the state archives when I visit there in a few weeks. If he served with the federal/national troops, then his records would have to be procured from the national archives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12