nataliew

Question resources for tracing thames watermen

I'm keen to confirm the parentage and know more about my great-great-great grandfather George F Wright b. 1822 approx Hampton Middx (sometimes Moulsey, Surrey!)
    I have marriage certs for 2 of his 12 children listing him as a waterman, 2 of his sons become watermen and he spends his married life living riverside on the lower mall, Hammersmith - although all but 1 census lists him as a 'labourer' ( I can't read 1861!)
    So what might the waterman occupation open up for me? I know that there is a data cd of 1829-1864 waterman licences although i've read the LMA pamphlet which suggests this relates to older, licensed ex-mariners, not those apprenticed. There's also an expensive (sorry! I'm not yet sure he's a waterman) bindings index. I know there's also some books about thames watermen too - I'd really like some feedback if anyone's used these before I order them. I also came across the trueflare website which I think does searches but it's a little confusing. Finally, I think the company of watermen is stored at lma - which means getting off my computer and overcoming archive-phobia! If anyone has advice as to what direction would be best I'd be most grateful
    Thanks
    Natalie

Mutley

Have you read through?
    www.
    parishregister.com/watermen_and_lightermen.html

lots of useful info there

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I believe the Thames Watermen records are soon to be uploaded to Find My Past (a pay/subscription site).

nataliew

ah thank you! Kerrywood, I think you're right about fmp although I can't find George on there at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nataliew View Post
    I think you're right about fmp although I can't find George on there at the moment.
    They haven't appeared on FMP as yet.

Aussie Shep

Nataliew,
    did you end purchasing the apprenticeships bindings index?? was it very helpful?
    I have a Lighterman in my family and watermen and I am keen to purchase the cd but the price puts me off, as I have to convert that to aussie dollars? just want to hear good things before I purchased.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Records of Thames watermen and lightermen have now appeared on FMP.

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya View Post
    Records of Thames watermen and lightermen have now appeared on FMP ...
    ... but, sadly, not the birth affidavit books.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    ... but, sadly, not the birth affidavit books.
    ...that would be an added bonus indeed - but I now have the bindings for 5 generations which is fantastic. Mostly son to father, and in almost every case the release date is, as you might expect, shortly before marriage.
    Oddly, one of the earlier ones (1709) has a release date of 1740. This seems rather long, could it be a misprint?

nataliew

Sorry - Hadn't realised the discussion had continued without me! yes, I did establish that George was not a waterman (his daughters liked to say he was when they got married ;-) but he did come into a little money and 2-3 of his sons were apprenticed as watermen. I found this out through the index on fmp and then I contacted Rob Cotterell through his website. Hope that helps!