Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geoff1959

Default Thelma Reiss-Smith b1907 Devonport Plymouth

Hi Good Morning.
    Can anybody help me with information on Thelma Reiss-Smith. My mother told me that we were related to a 'famous actress' who emigrated to Austrailia.
    A Google search found Thelma Reiss-Smith violin/cellist. Is this her and did my mum get it wrong as to her profession?
    Does anyone have any details of her emmigration to Austrailia ? Did she marry ? Etc.

Any help or pointers to info much appreciated.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1959
    Does anyone have any details of her emigration to Austrailia ? Did she marry ? Etc.
    Any help or pointers to info much appreciated.
    Outward passengers lists are available on the pay-per-view site 'Findmypast' - if she travelled after WW1 you may find more information recorded such as an occupation and address in the UK.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is your relation :Thelma Reiss-Smith b. 2nd July 1907 Devonport? or is that a guess at a possible relatives name?

There is a lot of info on the young violinist /cellist on the I'net, but I didn't find a marriage. My German ranslation may have hindered there. Perhaps this young lady went to Australia in concert moode but she seems to have been very busy in England/Europe.

https://www
    helpmusicians.org.uk/includes/documents/2010/n/notes_spring_2010.pdf has this piece on her:

Suggia was a champion of young artists throughout her career and more than 70 years ago wrote tothe Musicians Benevolent Fund requesting help for a young cellist with special talents and limited financial means. This was Thelma Reiss Smith who went on to have a solo career playing with Dame Myra Hess, Cyril Smith and Phyllis Sellick.The Musicians Benevolent Fund continues to help outstanding young musicians today through a number of award schemes, including the Suggia Gift.
    Also Paperspast has "Evening Post, Volume CXIV, Issue 41, 17 August 1932, Page 11
    London 15th July

London Times April 1928 - Nov. 51 also has items.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1959 View Post
    A Google search found Thelma Reiss-Smith violin/cellist. Is this her and did my mum get it wrong as to her profession?
    Hi Geoff,
    I think this is probably her and Mum may have got the profession wrong. I notice you have Serles in your family. Laura Ellen Serle and Robert Edward Reiss-Smith both appear in the marriages for Dec q. 1893 in Stoke Damerel so this could be your connection. They are probably the parents of Thelma (birth registered Sept q 1906 Devonport) as Robert Edward definitely had another daughter, Thora, also born in Devonport, in 1910 (he's named in Thora's marriage announcement). The Times has numerous mentions of Thelma's appearances as a musician but unfortunately nothing about a marriage or migration.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I found only one Thelma Reiss in Australia 1949 - 1954 living as housewife with Vincent Gregory Reiss a farmer in Witta, Nambour QLD.
    In 1949 with Albert Wiliam Reiss... farmer
    Andrew Peter Reiss... farmer
    Vincent Gregory ..farmer all of Little Mountain CAloundra Qld.

Andrew Peter seems to have married Annie Mary?

No Reiss-Smith.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pattenwalsh

Thelma Reiss-Smith (Cellist)changed her name in later life to Thelma Reiss and was playing in 1940 at the Proms under this name .
    The following piece from, originally Oxford Music Online,but copied from scrapblogfromthesouthwest-blogspot says..
    Thelma Reiss
    The cellist Thelma Reiss was born in Plymouth, in 1906. She made her debut with the pianist Joan Black at the Wigmore Hall in 1930. and was then invited to play Elgar Cello concerto at a Promenade Concert. She followed an international career and was at the time acclaimed as one of the foremost women cellists, performing with Myra Hess and broadcasting with the BBC. During the war she played at factories and hospitals. Playing a repertoire from Back to Debussy she was apparently known for her stylish and brilliant playing; but this was enhanced by her projection of a wonderful warm rapport and this endeared her to her audiences. She was forced to retire in 1955 because of a debilitating illness

Brick wall demolition expert!

This may be her death registration:

Name: Thelma Reiss
    Birth: 2 Jul 1906
    Death Reg Quarter/Year: Sep 1991
    Registration district: Deben, Suffolk
    Volume: 10
    Page: 2319

and her estate notice in the London Gazette:

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...75/pages/15083

pattenwalsh

Yep,according to answers .com she retired to Suffolk and took up gardening.

Geoff1959

Thanks to all who replied.
    Yes the family connection is through Laura Ellen SERLE and her marriage to Robert Edward Reiss-Smith.
    Interestingly in the 1911 census Laura is listed as just Laura Smith. I did wonder wether this was an attempt to distance her family from a German sounding name prior to WW1 - what is the concensus ? Robert Edward was Naval Gunner in WW1, one of his children Basil Raymond was a Major in the Royal Marines. The SERLE's have a lot of musical connections as professors of music and music teachers. Sadly I have not inherited their skills but do 'murder' the odd song on karaoke !

Thelma Reiss-Smith, never married and she became a very accomplished violin cello player, she died September quarter 1991, aged 85, in Suffolk, England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast