Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Jim NQ

Default Hi, Jim NQ here.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Hello

A John BENDING b 1830 Coombpyne Devon ( 12 miles form Feniton) can be found at

1841 HO 107 200 17 & 1851 H0107 1862 65 17 Axminster area

BENDING Richard b 1793 Ottery Devon
    BENDING Sarah 1795 Coombpyne
    BENDING John 1830
    BENDING Robert 1832
    BENDING Thomasin 1835
    BENDING Thomas 1837 declared as all born Coombpyne

I can not trace a marriage in 1870 of John BENDING = Eliza GRAY
    The John at Coombpyne is unfortunately not the one. I now have the details of his death certificate. He died and Pheobe, his wife, remarried. He was a shipwright. The John Bending of the search remains a true mystery. When he arrived in Australia he seems to have gone to what was then Bending Station near Charleville, Queensland.
    Cheers,
    Jim.

Jim NQ

Correct, Kath...The above was John August Bending of Swedish stock. The name was changed from Binding.
    Cheers,
    Jim.

girrawheen

Hi Jim NQ, sorry for the long delay in replying to your post. I had given up on the John Bending search. However I have some info on John Doyle if you're still interested. John was born in Churchill, Wollondilly near Goulburn, N.S.W. Parents were Laurence and Bridget nee McCormack. I know the person you refered to as D.C., in fact they are the person for whom I was doing the research. They would like to know where the story about the bushfire came from as they hadn't heard that one! You can send me a private message if you like. Thanks for your interest. Girrawheen.

Lightbulb John Bending - a possible answer

Quote Originally Posted by girrawheen View Post
    I am doing a search for a friend in her 70s who does not have internet connections. Her family has more brick walls than mine! Looking for anything concrete on John Bending. All our info on him comes from the info he suipplied on the birth certificate of one of his children. He says he was;
    b. Feniton, Devon, 1830
    m. Eliza Gray 22nd Sept 1870 Feniton, Eliza b Feniton 1851. (20 year age gap between John and Eliza)
    Additonal in ifo is that their first child was born in Australia oct 1871
    Hoping you may still be active - I have recently been looking at John Bending as I have a close DNA match with a descendant. These are my thoughts:In 1857 a John Bending is on the Beejapore leaving for NSW. He says he is 24 and the son of Robert & Elizabeth from Ottery St Mary, Devon.
    In 1870 a John Bending is on another ship to NSW aged 38 and a few lines below is Eliza Gray. He is described as a "settler" which I have been advised means he could already be settled in Australia and this was returning from a trip home.

There is no sign of a Robert & Elizabeth Bending anywhere in Devon at this time with or without a son John, just no couple with those names.
    However, there is a Robert Pike and his wife Elizabeth Bending and they are the parents of my ancestress Mary Pike and they have a son called John born in 1832 in Ottery St Mary.

So I think John Bending was actually born John Pike and for whatever reason he adopted the name Bending when he first went to Australia.

The Feniton information is new to me so I will be taking a look at that.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Ghengissian
    Unfortunately the original poster girrawheen is no longer a member of the Brit-Gen forums as indicated by the word "guest" under their user name.
    You have some interesting information about John Bending which will now be available to others who may be researching him in the future and you also say you have benefitted from information in this thread so not a complete loss.
    If you do need help with your research just ask, our members love helping solve mysteries.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123