Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    girrawheen

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Hello

I have picked up the same 1861 census when john is desc as a Ships Carpenter, followed this through
    there is another child Thomasin b 1864 New Brompton Kent

Phoebe next appears as the wife of Alfred HODGES on the 1871 census RG10 906 Gillingham

However there is a death entry John BENDING dec 1864 Medway

Elsabels
    I found that too and think that might be the John married to Phoebe. However nothing is certain sure with this family!!

Nicolina

Medway District is in Kent, a long way from Devon.

Have a look on the NLA Australian newspapers web site. Type in "John Bending" and the first article to come up is the report of an old and respected resident of Ballarat who attempted suicide in 1904. It doesn't give his age but if you have access to Victorian BDM indexes you may be able to check this one out.

Sorry cancel that idea, I have just found this John Bending on google & he's not your man.
    Last edited by KathNZ; 16-09-2010 at 1:22 AM. Reason: Addition of information

There is a death of a John Bending, parents Elias & Mary Ann in Mayfield, NSW in 1937. No age given.

girrawheen

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Have a look on the NLA Australian newspapers web site. Type in "John Bending" and the first article to come up is the report of an old and respected resident of Ballarat who attempted suicide in 1904. It doesn't give his age but if you have access to Victorian BDM indexes you may be able to check this one out.

Sorry cancel that idea, I have just found this John Bending on google & he's not your man.
    Hi Kath,
    I found a few John Bendings in Victoria through the electral rolls. Interesting to see that John Bending was also a miner, same as our John Bending. Our family spent their lives in Qld and I don't know if there is any link to the Victorian Bendings. Jen.

girrawheen

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    There is a death of a John Bending, parents Elias & Mary Ann in Mayfield, NSW in 1937. No age given.
    I don't think this is our John as he would have been over 100 years at time of death. Jen.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    Medway District is in Kent, a long way from Devon.

Mmmm, but isn't Gillingham in Kent where Phoebe and her 2nd hucband were?

geneius

Rona

Hello,

I'm not sure if you have discovered this or not, but Eliza & John Doyle appear on the 1903 electoral roll in OK Copper Mine. Eliza dies in 1931: 1931/C3506 Eliza Doyle F: John Stephen Gray M: Ann Pike

I could not see a marriage for John & Eliza despite the fact that she has taken on his name. They also have another 2 children together, aside from Francis - registered under the name DOYLE.

Regards
    Werona

Jim NQ

Hello Girrawheen,

Having an interest in John Doyle, the pathfinder of North Queensland fame, who is said to have married Eliza Bending, nee Gray, I have also undertaken research concerning John Bending and Eliza. Like others on this forum all my efforts have come to a dead end, especially with John Bending. Eliza put out the story that John Bending was killed in a bushfire along with her sons. No death can be found for John but I can account for two sons that died at Mareeba of natural causes. Eliza and John Doyle were said to have married at Herberton but I can find no marriage. John Doyle is another mystery in as much as I have never been able to locate his birth in NSW. A person named D. C. at Gordonvale is related to one of the Bending boys.

Cheers,
    Jim NQ.
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 01-04-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Edited name of a possible living person. See AUP

Jim NQ

Default Francis Bending

Quote Originally Posted by girrawheen View Post
    Hi KathNZ, Children we know of, (there could be more)
    Alice Bending b 15/10/1871
    Alfred Bending 24/10/1873
    William Bending b 1/2/1875
    John Bending b 10/1/1879
    James b abt 1880 d 1880
    Elizabeth b abt 1881 d 1881
    All children born in Qld. Alfred born on a cattle station near Charleville. Other kids born Ravenswood, and possibly Chillagoe and Georgetown. Will have to get back to you on that. All children have John Bending listed as father and Eliza Gray listed as mother. We have traced all of above. One other child was born to Eliza Gray, Francis Bending b27/3/1887. Father's name missing from historical info I got through BMD Historical Index search. We think this child might be the child of Jhon Doyle but not sure. My friend would love to know where and when her great grandfather died. Also it would be great to find out more about the English rellies.
    Jen.
    Hello, Jim N.Q. here...Regarding the child Francis Bending born 1887 he was, as you suggested the son of John Doyle. This is stated at the time of his death in 1888.
    Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast