trudles

Default Backaderry Flinns

Hi

Can anyone help with the Flinns who I believe came from Backaderry (if the entry on the 1911 IOM census is to be believed) and moved to the Isle of Man. Certainly the family came from County Down. I have Hugo born c 1785 married to Susanna, son Daniel (c1816) married to Alice Bannon (c1813). There was possibly another son John married to Bridget. Daniel and Alice's oldest daughter (also Alice) was born in Ireland c1842 but the other children were all born in the Isle of Man.

Any suggestions on how I can get further information would be appreciated - at the moment I am not able to visit Down.

Many thanks
    Trudles

Jan1954

Hello Trudles,

Have you had a look at the 1901 Irish census for Backaderry? There are 7 Flinn family members there:

Bernard, 45, Farmer
    Catherine, 40
    Patrick, 17
    James,10
    Maggie, 8
    Mary, 6
    Kate, 1

All were born in County Down, but they were not there on the 1911 census. Any connection to your family?

trudles

Many thanks for that. I don't know if they are related. All of my Flinns left Ireland in the 1840s/1850s. However as Backaderry is a small place it is likely that there is a connection but I think the only answer to finding that connection will be to visit and trawl through parish registers, etc. Unfortunately that can't be any time soon.

Again thank you for your help
    Trudles

SansSouci

You were quick to jump to conclusions, have you since found out
    Flinn/Flynn in ireland in 1863 included
    James in Backaderry Drumgooland civil parish with map ref 44
    Details land in 3 areas 13, 9 , 1 acres, with 2 houses one £1.50 the other 10 .shillings
    Patrick in Backaderry Drumgooland civil parish with map ref 51
    details land 16 acres the house valued at £1[A few at 5shillings.
    The map references should show the boundary of the land and the house size

PRONI Belfast requires visit but you should find something in the tithe applotments records 1824-1837