Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PJRYAN

Hi Sunnycrest,
    I wonder whether you can help me please. My grandmother's brother, Fr.Francis McNulty died in S.A. He arrived 1958 from Southampton aboard the "Winchester Castle". Born 4th February 1912, died sometime between 1960-1962 from a disease. He was a RC Priest and my guess is he worked in a mission somewhere in Natal. Parents John and Margaret McNulty. That's all the info I have. Thanks, Paul Ryan.

sunnycrest

Hi Paul

If he died in Natal in the 60's, I can do a lookup for you. Unfortunately I am going to Zimbabwe next week and will only be back early January. Will do lookup towards end January and let you know if I find anything.
    regards

Hi Mags54,
    Researching Puzzle Brass Tobacco Boxes we found your post. At https://PuzzleMuseum.com I have discovered that we have a box that once belonged to Edgar Jenkins. Will be delighted to exchange information if you contact us.
    James

Hi sunnycrest,

I've just logged in to the forum for the first time in a few years as I have a specific query with which you might be able to help me hugely. If you are no longer helping out with such matters then please just say so ... I don't wish to burden you with spurious cries for help.

To the subject then ...

I watched the move 1917 recently and it sparked the thought, " I wonder if my papa's half brother (John McKerlie Grassie) also served with him in WW1 as they did in the 2nd Boer War?"

I have now established that he married twice (1909 & 1920) and ultimately died (1957) in South Africa but I don't know if he returned to the UK after the war or stayed on in RSA. I also don't know if he re-enlisted to serve in WW1 and then returned afterwards to RSA.

If you can shed any light on his travel history that would be a huge boon to me.

Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Best,

Stuart

Unfortunately sunnycrest is no longer a member of the Brit-Gen forums as indicated by the word 'Guest; under their user name. As we do not keep any information for them they will not be notified of your posts.
    It may be that there is more information out there online than when sunnycrest first made their offer so another member of the forum may take a look to see if anything can be fond.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Scotland Select Births and baptisms 1564-1950
    John McKerlie Grassie
    born 18 March 1871, Closeburn Dumfries Scotland
    father - William Grassie
    Mother - Agnes McKerlie

UK and Ireland Incoming Passenger Lists 1878-1960
    Address - care of South Africa House London
    John McKerlie Grassie age 60, birth date about 1871
    Port of departure Durban South Africa
    Arrival date 31 May 1931, Port of Arrival Southampton England
    Ship Guildford Castle
    He was travelling on his own.

So his service number for the Boer war medals records was 144 and his unit the Imperial Light Infantry. His record gives his Nationality as South African.
    There are two records for a John Grassie on ancestry in the Service medal and Ward Rolls for WW1 but no middle name or initial for them. Service number 331566 a private, in the Highland Light Infantry and the other service number 121559 a gunner, in the Royal Garrison Artillery

More than 60% of WW1 service records were destoyed in WW11 by bombing/fire/water and I can't see a record for your man.
    William Burroughs

On familysarch.org
    Migration. United Kingdom outgoing Passenger Lists, 1890 - 1960
    Emigration 15 August 1934
    Occupation - retired
    Mr J M Grassie, age 63 born 1871.
    Departure Port London
    arrival port - Cape, South Africa
    Ship - Dunbar Castle.

His first wife Catherine Leal born 1888 Scotland. There is a death of a Katherine Grassie age 24 buried 18 march 1912 brixton cemetery Johhanesburg. BIRTH year 1888.

Second wife Ellen Wilson Kirkpatrick, married 1920,age 46, born 1874.
    Ellen Wilson Kirkpatrick Grassie died 13 July 1925 Lady Dudley Nursing Home, Johannesburg, buried 15 July 1925 Brixton cemetery, Johhanesburg. Birth year given as 1870 so a few years difference from her marriage record.

These two early deaths of his wives explain his solo travel to England in 1831 and 1834 return journey.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123