Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sunnycrest

Default Emigration to South Africa

I am able to help with any lookups for anyone who had ancestors that came to the NATAL region in South Africa.

mags54

Hi Sunnycrest
    I wonder if you could do some look-ups for me please?
    I know that my grandfather was in SA in the early 1900's as my mother was brought up there,but cannot find him on either the 1901 or1911 Wales Census.I know he married here in Wales in 1904 so I wonder if he travelled to SA earlier.I have considered he might have gone out during the Boer War liked the country and returned after his marriage .
    On my mother's birth cert in 1913 it gives the family as living in Benoni as my grandfather was a gold mine captain at New Modderfontein,Benoni.
    My grandparents were Edgar and Elizabeth Jenkins b1876 and 1881 from Pontypool,Monmouthshire,Wales.
    I'd be grateful for any help

Bertie

Hi Sunnycrest - are you able to do Eastern Cape look-ups?

Colin Rowledge

I have a grandfather who died shortly after leaving South Africa in 1957.

Not sure if the information below is actually relevant or whether he was even in NATAL region at the time but any help is appreciated.

Sometim in November 1957, Alfred Digby Fanning, left England for the Cape. He was a passenger on the "Capetown Castle". At the time of his departure, he was suffering with [at least 2 type of Cancer]. While in the Cape, he was hospitalized [with this health problem] and was granted an extension to saty. I have this document from Cape Archives.

On December 16, 1957 he left Durban and 1 day later died at sea. His mortal remains and effects arrived in Southampton on December 27.

Why he went when so ill, is a mystery. Do you have any insight [or a possible explanation] into why he went in the 1st place? Political, seems a possibility due to his background.

Thanks

sunnycrest

Bertie, tried to reply to your message, but your box is full!! Can only do lookups for Natal region, sorry

sunnycrest

mags54, sorry only got your message now. Unforturnately Benoni was in the old Transvaal region. I can only help you with Natal. I will get onto the archives site and see if it thows up anything with those names though. Sorry!

sunnycrest

Hi Colin

Do you know when your grandfather arrived in South Africa? Had he been here a while? And where had he come from? I wouldn't really think political reasons in 1957 - although it is just before the Union of South Africa became a Republic, so depending on his political orientation, if he was an extreme "left winger" then perhaps so. I know my parents considered emigrating in the late 60's, but that was purely from a good job offer in Canada. I will check out the archives website and see if it throws up anything else.

Regards
    Debby

Colin Rowledge

Hi sunnycrest.
    I have ust seen your reply, however busy at the moment. Let me read and get back to you

Thanks
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Why he went when so ill, is a mystery. Do you have any insight [or a possible explanation] into why he went in the 1st place? Political, seems a possibility due to his background.

Thanks
    Hi Debby
    The comment of mine about 'POLITICAL' may be a tad misleading.

I have developed quite a lot of information about this man's family, however he has proven to be most elusive.

There are a few threads on this site that mention him by name and/or circumstances, so I would prefer to keep my research and results private and provide only the basicdetails as I have done on this thread.

May I deal with you by email or private message?

Colin

mags54

Default SA Lookups

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycrest View Post
    mags54, sorry only got your message now. Unforturnately Benoni was in the old Transvaal region. I can only help you with Natal. I will get onto the archives site and see if it thows up anything with those names though. Sorry!
    Thanks anyway Sunnycrest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast