Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sunnycrest

sure, email: colin AT pmbnet DOT co DOT za

sunnycrest

Hi mags54, what was your grandmothers maiden name and do you know where whe was born and were your grandparents married in South Africa?

mags54

Hi Sunnycrest
    Both my grandparents were born in Wales and then married in Wales in 1904.They lived in Africa by 1912, returning to Wales for my mother's birth in 1913, then going back to Africa when she was 6 weeks old.They lived in Africa for the next 15 years or so.My mother mentioned living in Benoni,Bloemfontein and Durban.
    I visited Durban in 1981 and met my mother's cousin, whose mother was a sister to my grandmother and had emigrated at the same time as my grandparents.I have tried to find a way to have contact with her or her children,but no luck.Her name was Maisie Sayer or Bayer and her husband was Claude.I believe she had two sons but I can't remember their names.
    Best wishes
    Mag

sunnycrest

Colin, I have tried to do some searching from this side, but I don't seem to find anything other than the temporary immigration papers, which you already have. Reading your info from other searches, it doesn't look as though he was in South Africa very long, so unfortunately, it seems his "elusiveness" followed him to his grave! Sorry wasn't much help..

regards

sunnycrest

Mags, not much info unfortunately. Archives only throw up info if there are the usual records of death/marriage, etc and then of course any criminal activity!
    The only info I could glean on Modderfontein mine, was that gold was discovered in the area in 1887. Modderfontein was then a farm. In 1904 plots were sold and Benoni was laid out. In 1907 it becam a municipality. Gold mining has ceased in the area and the mines there are closed. I have checked for the name Bayer and Sayer and nothing comes up under those spellings. Sorry not much help!
    Regards

mags54

Hi Sunnycrest
    Thanks for looking for me.There's something else I'd like to know.Three of my mother's siblings were born in S Africa and I applied to the GRO here in the UK for birth certificates but was told they didn't have them.Would there be records of their births in S Africa?
    Best wishes Mag

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycrest View Post
    Colin, I have tried to do some searching from this side, but I don't seem to find anything other than the temporary immigration papers, which you already have. Reading your info from other searches, it doesn't look as though he was in South Africa very long, so unfortunately, it seems his "elusiveness" followed him to his grave! Sorry wasn't much help..

regards
    Thanks for trying.

His 'elusiveness' wasn't the only thing about him as far as where he went and what he did with regard to occupation and travels.

If, and it's a big IF he was employed by the English/British government prior to, during and after W.W.2 then obviously he was bound by the OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT. His 2 unmarried sisters worked as a Secretary/Personal Assistant to Civil Servants of the governnment during the same time frame and all 2 lived together from the early 1930's up to and after his death in 1951.

Each of these 3 folks would have been bound by the same rules of confidentiality and they also carried their secrets to their grave.

This will be something I think that I'll never get to the bottom of, don't you?

Colin

sunnycrest

Yes there would be records, but quite a rigmarole to apply for one - not simple like UK. I definitely don't think you can do them online. You can also only look up in the registers held at the Archives , births older than 100 years! I spent four hours in the queue to get a copy of my grandfathers birth certificate, when it arrived it, all the details were completely wrong! I had seen the original entry and they had muddled up the parents names, so that defeated the whole object, not to mention the time and cost involved! There is a company called "Passport Centre" and they might be able to help you. They can get certificates on your behalf. Check on the internet and I am sure you will find them or a similar company that will be able to help.

sunnycrest

Well you never know! Don't the British govt. allow confidential documents or similar to be released after a certain amount of time. There always seems to be something in the news regarding "war secrets" or snippets being let out years later - maybe they would at least tell you if he was employed by the Intelligence or such in the British govt? (Maybe he was on the trail of someone wanted for war crimes that they suspected of being in South Africa? )

mags54

Thanks once again Sunnycrest for your help.
    Mags

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast