amanda77

Default Batch number on LDS

Does anyone know how the batch numbers work on the LDS?.
    I have found a relation on there and under the same batch number is another 140 names under the same area, same surname.
    Could these all be relations or is it just listing all the same surnames in the area under the same batch number regardless of their relation to each other?

Have looked through the LDS website for an answer to this but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

Many thanks
    Amanda

Linda

Default IGI Batch numbers

Hi Amanda

This site will give you your answer:

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....tchNumbers.htm

Linda

Reputation beyond repute

"I have found a relation on there and under the same batch number is another 140 names under the same area, same surname."

What was the batch number?

amanda77

Hi Linda, Thanks will have a read

Peter: batch number was 7002102, surname Harrower.

Thanks for both the replies

Amanda

Reputation beyond repute

OK. The bit you need to take note of is "Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church".

The words you would like to see are "Extracted birth or christening (or marriage) record for the locality listed in the record". These you can probably trust to be as accurate as any transcription. They should still be checked against the source though. You'll find the site Linda mentioned invaluable in tracking down the batch numbers you need.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the batch that you've found. These "patron submissions" are known to be of extremely variable accuracy and some are no more than guesswork or wishful thinking. The best advice, if you can't bring yourself to ignore them, is to take them as clues that need to be checked as a priority against original sources. None of the entries by the way tell you what the original sources are so you have to decide for yourself what sources to look at!

Hope this helps.

amanda77

Hi Peter,
    Yeah i understand that. Some of the entries were of use as they were extracted from records. But i understand your point, there are also a fair few which aren't.
    I was interested to know how the batches were pieced together. Whether they came from the same parish record, by the same vicar. Or whether they were actually related. I notice that there are other surnames in the same batch number. Just made a bit curious how the whole thing is done really.

Thanks for your response,Peter
    Regards
    Amanda