Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Eileen Sherrell

Thank you again Martin for the additional information you have given re: Joseph Sherrell, b.1816.
    I am his great grand-daughter and had no idea what he looked like. Unfortunately unless I can get to the UK again
    sometime, I will not be able to access the Kew Archives. But thank you anyway for this further information.

Starting to feel at home

Martin, thanks very much for the information.

Geoff

daisycakes

Hi Martin.. Its very kind of you to offer help.... and I wonder if you may be able to help in my search for Evan George of Pembroke Dock occupation on his daughters marriage cert as Preventative Service....
    Many Thanks in anticipation... Ann

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Ann

I'm more than happy to try and find your man, but it would help if you could provide a little more information, such as an approximate date and place where you think he might have been working. You say Pembroke Dock, but is this where he was born or where his daughter married?

Martin

daisycakes

Default Evan George

Martin...I know little about Evan George apart the details on his daughters 2 marriage certs

His daughter on all census was born about 1834 in Milford Haven
    She has a a child out of wedlock in 1854 in Greenwich
    She then marries into an army family in Greenwich in 1857........................................... father Evan George
    She marries again (now a widow) this time a family of shipwrights in 1866 in Shoreditch ....father Evan George

My ancesters and in particular the above 2 families have led me a merry dance with lots of twists and turns .....but I'm hooked so love it!!!!!

Ann

Spugalugs

Smile Martin

Sorry for delay in getting back to you but Ive been away. Thank you so much for all your efforts, very much appreciated ! Interesting stuff. I did what you suggested and got the report from National Archives and doesnt give alot more but has given me a few more things to investigate further. Once again thank you, I am always pleasantly surprised on the forums how kind and willing people are to help. Di

Ann

I’ve checked all the Coastguard and navy records I could think of but without any success. It is possible that at the time he was serving on one of the many Revenue Cruisers as a ‘Mariner’, however, these men are not listed in the CG records, and only appear on the Muster Roll for the particular cruiser. While the Navy List names all these vessels and their commanding officers, for the 1840’s they don’t provide details of their homeport, making it almost impossible to know what vessels muster roll to search.

The other option is that he served in the Excise Service, which would mean a check of the returns of Customs Officers held at the National Archives, Kew. This is an area I’ve never researched, so am unable to offer an advice as to the best place to start.

Martin

Di

From his record do you have the name of a ship he was serving on between 1854 and 1856? If you do, together with his ships number I will check the medal roll to see if he was awarded either the Baltic or Crimea Medals.

Martin

daisycakes

Default evan george

Martin.... Thank you so much for taking the time to look for Evan....Maybe he'll surface one day no pun intended!!!

Thanks... Ann

Spugalugs

Hi Martin. I'm struggling to read the old handwriting on the copy I got from the archives but it looks like he was on either Britannia but more likely on the Amphion during that time period. There is mention of "date of badges" whatever that is on 10 August 1854. Is there anyway I can send you the document to see if your able to decipher it, if you have the time ? Di

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast