Sue Simonich

Default Inquisitions Post Mortem

Can anyone advise as to where I can go to get the following IPM? Inquisition number: Inq. Capta 21 H. 6. This would have to do with the Poyntz Family and mentions the Newburgh Family. Some of it is written in this online book, but seems to have left out what is important to my study.

archive.org/stream/somersetpub15someuoft#page/150/mode/2up/search/Newburgh

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Section 10 of this Research Guide may be some help. You would have to employ a researcher.

The word 'hiatus' didn't sound very hopeful to me

Ken Ozanne

Sue,
    The reference to the IPM was a bit lacking. I don't have all the Calendars of IPMs and could only pick up a reference in the old series. That is Calendarium Inquisitionum Post Mortem Vol 4 (1828) p 472 (in the appendix). The modern series is much better but still largely in copyright. I have up to volume 12 which is Edward III, you need the volume for Henry VI. Obviously the 21st year of his reign, but the date is not recorded in the old series. The modern series is in English, which should help. But they only summarize the IPM.
    WorldCat should tell you where the nearest library that has the IPMs is, though I would check with the library that they actually have the appropriate volume. I would guess Seattle, but you might have to go to California.
    What is your study? I have a certain amount of information about the Poyntz family if that is useful.

Sue Simonich

Default Newburgh and Poyntz Families

Hello Ken: Yes, you are right the IMP reference is a bit lacking. It came from an old book where they apparently felt it was unnecessary to give a complete citation. I will try and find the information that you have suggested after the Christmas holidays. There is a book in the Seattle Public Library that I need to peruse about the Poyntz family. I haven't yet been able to make it into the city to view it.

I am very interested to know more about the Poyntz family and their continued familial relationships with the Newburgh family. John Newburgh was apparently supposed to have been next in line for the Poyntz baronial title, but something happened to thwart the transfer. History is quite absent on the subject. The John Newburgh generational history in the later half of the fourteenth century is missing. Something happened, but it is unclear what transpired.

I am researching Shoreham Castle of Kent, which was at some point was owned by the Poyntz family. Apparently, John Newburgh "sued" to gain possession around 1460, from his Poyntz cousins. However, information from the Feet of Fines, shows this to be erroneous. Shoreham was also called Lullingstone Castle, and is not related to the modern extant building. Apparently the family held on to the castle until sometime after the English Civil War, when it changed hands and passed out of the Newburgh family. There was also something going on with the land between the families at Sutton Poyntz. I am in the early stages of this research, and any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am writing a book about the 15th century Newburgh family, using some earlier pedigree information to an anchor it back to the Bellomont family of Normandy. Thank you for answering.

Sincerely,

Sue Simonich

Sue Simonich

Default IPM mystery solved

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Simonich View Post
    Hello Ken: Yes, you are right the IMP reference is a bit lacking. It came from an old book where they apparently felt it was unnecessary to give a complete citation.
    The private eye finally had to resort to the medievalists at the TNA. It turns out that the reference number is an OLD number. The TNA has a more up to date system of numbering documents. I am finally in possession of these docs. As it turns out, it is perhaps not really an IPM as advertised, but a King's Court case. Still working on the translation.

~Sue