Loves to help with queries

Default John and Mary Dow St. Ninians Stirlingshire

I've just received the record of marriage for John Down (1846) and Mary Dow (1846). They were married June 19, 1868 in the Parish of St. Ninians County of Stirling. It's unusual in that both have the Dow surname. I know Mary was born in Larbert, is St. Ninians very far from Larbert? Is there anyone reading this familiar with the Dow families in the Larbert/St. Ninians area?
    Thank you.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello Bob,
    Is this a marriage registration that you have purchased from Scotlands Peoples? If so, does it give the names of the parents of the bride & groom?

Default John and Mary Dow married in St. Ninians

Yes, but one is a bit difficult to read. Mary Dow's parents are Andrew Dow and Jean Baird. John Dow's parents are James Dow and Margaret (here is the hard part) starts with a B looks like Benson, Bourne, Burns, Bowman ????, I just don't know.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you have John Dow's death certificate? If his death was in Scotland, the certificate would perhaps clarify his mother's surname.

Default John and Mary Dow married in St. Ninians

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Do you have John Dow's death certificate? If his death was in Scotland, the certificate would perhaps clarify his mother's surname.
    I'm sorry, I don't have John Dow's death certificate. My relationship is to Mary Dow who is in my mother's family tree.

Daeganne

I would think it's quite likely that both surnames were Dow. It's not an uncommon name in those neck of the woods.

I did a quick search on SP entering only Mary Dow and the marriage details are as you have them - John Dow & Mary Dow, St. Ninians.

Larbert & St. Ninian's are only 9/10 miles apart.

Mary's parents appear to have a stone in Larbert Old Parish Churchyard dated 1852. I have sent you a PM regarding this.

D.