freddie999

Default Grasmere cemetary - frequently occuring names

As reported here in this forum, I had my visit to Rydal and Grasmere I searched around the graveyard by Grasmere church, and the seperate cemetary. The archive were able to confirm that my great great grand parents were buried here in Grasmere, unfortunately they did not have a burial record, nor did the minister. Sadly my search didn't reveal a discovery of my great great grand parents grave. There were graves in the church cemetary without gravestones, and the same in the other cemetary. The surviving gravestones were not for my family. I did wish I was searching for the surnames Benson, Tyson, Green, Flemimg, Wordsworth (!!!!!) Borwick Dixon, Cruickshank, and Wilson. Each of these had more than one stone for a member of their family.Are you a lucky decendants to these? Well, I have to just assume my my great great grand parents were buried somewhere!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

How disappointed you must have been to have made the journey north and then not to be able to find a family grave, and yes all the names mentioned are 'local' names that constantly crop up in Cumberland & Westmorland research, and i do not think we will mention the weather!

On a brighter note, the records for Grasmere are held at:

Cemeteries Office,
    South Lakeland House,
    20-26 Lowther Street,
    Kendal,
    Cumbria
    LA9 4UD

Fax (01539) 797599 e-mail: [email protected]

geneius

freddie999

Thanks, Geneius, I had been in contact with the Cemeteries Office, they were unable to help me.

Chris01

There are more than 200 Grasmere MIs online. I'd post the link but I don't think that's allowed - you could probably google it though.