Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default cullercoats cobles

was just wondering if the Cullercoats fishing flee boats had names? A number of my ancesters were involved in fishing and i wondered if they names their vessels?

Jan1954

I think that they did, as every reference to them that I have found has the name of the coble.

You may find The Northumbrian Coble website of interest: tomorrows-history.com/projects/PC0100030001/The%20Northumbrian%20Coble.htm (put https://www. in front) and it provides links to the Coble and Keelboat Society.

Lonrad-B

If you can give me a family name perhaps I can help.
    I have a list of all Cullercoats cobles from 1860-1960. It includes coble registration number, boat and owners name plus the fishermen’s nicknames.
    All fishing boats are registered and licenced under the Sea Fishery Act of 1868.
    This gives the name of fishing coble, owner and registration number.
    Cullercoats cobles registration letters are SN plus a number.
    Example: Alpha SN1, owner Norman Fairbairn

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lonrad-B
    I wonder if you have the coble name and registration number for a Cullercoats coble owned by John Andrew Cole. He was born in Cullercoats in 1892 and so would probably have been fishing from around 1910 until his death in 1942. Family legend has it that he was the first person in Cullercoats to install a motor in his boat.
    Wendy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John A Cole's coble "Polly"

Hello Wendy

I've just come across your post from 20 March 2017. I can't see that you have had a reply but you may have received the information from another area. John A Cole had a coble named "Polly" as per a list held by Arnold Brunton who is a member of Cullercoats Heritage group. I hope this helps.

Bob

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Cullercoat Coble

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmay View Post
    Hello Wendy

I've just come across your post from 20 March 2017. I can't see that you have had a reply but you may have received the information from another area. John A Cole had a coble named "Polly" as per a list held by Arnold Brunton who is a member of Cullercoats Heritage group. I hope this helps.

Bob
    Thanks Bob,
    As luck would have it I have just been in contact with Arnold via a Cullercoats Facebook group. He did have a little more information on 'Polly'.
    Your input is appreciated!
    Wendy