Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinREG3

JohnE

Default WinREG3

Can WinREG3 be installed alongside WinREG2? Is there an option in the installation process to put it in a different directory from WinREG2 and not to delete WinREG2?

I do not want to lose WinREG2 until I am happy with WinREG3.

JohnE

Copper

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that version 3 does not work properly in Winxp.

Copper

JohnE

Thanks for the warning Copper. XP is what I am using, so I should probably steer clear of WinREG3 until the issue is sorted out.

JohnE

Mike Fry

Actually, if you're working with a new file, it doesn't work! Fix on the way.

Existing files don't appear to be a problem except when adding new records.

Mike Fry

Not strictly true.

JohnE

Thanks Mike. I'll wait for the fix before trying WinREG3.

Are you able to answer my original question concerning the installation of WinREG3 alongside WinREG2?

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Can WinREG3 be installed alongside WinREG2? Is there an option in the installation process to put it in a different directory from WinREG2 and not to delete WinREG2?

I do not want to lose WinREG2 until I am happy with WinREG3.

JohnE
    At the moment, we see little advantage to having the two versions installed side by side. As a result, the installation and upgrade packages always tend to replace any previously installed version.

katerimmer

I just ran WinREG and it did its check for updates and said an update was available and when I selected to download and install the update, I ended up with WinREG3. I'm quite scared of spreadsheets, so I'm not really sure what to do with it, but am I right in thinking that every time you finish keying a record, you have to click that little + symbol at the top before you can key the next one, or is there a button on the keyboard that will do it?

Edit - also, when you key in the baptism date, it doesn't automatically capitalise the month name. Any chance it could do that, please? I don't know if this is the same for other dates yet.
    Last edited by katerimmer; 02-11-2010 at 3:21 PM. Reason: add another question

Mike Fry

Post WinREG/3 Version 3.1.2 Is Available

Hello Kate,

Quote Originally Posted by katerimmer View Post
    I just ran WinREG and it did its check for updates and said an update was available and when I selected to download and install the update, I ended up with WinREG3. I'm quite scared of spreadsheets, so I'm not really sure what to do with it, but am I right in thinking that every time you finish keying a record, you have to click that little + symbol at the top before you can key the next one, or is there a button on the keyboard that will do it?
    Which version is this? I presume (and hope) that it is 3.1.2 If not, can I suggest that you go to the new WinREG/3 website WinREG Software and download the version 3.1.2 MSI package from there.

Also to be found on that page, is a quick and dirty set of Operating Instructions. They should, at the very least, get you started.

Yes! The + icon is for adding a new record. But you shouldn't have to press it again to add a second one: simply either press the ENTER key in the last column, or press the DOWN arrow. A further new record should be provided for you, in which values based on those from the just-completed record will be inserted automatically. These are the Register Number, Fiche, Image and any Date fields.

As you edit fields, the background of any fields that have been altered will change to a reddish-pink to provide a visual indicator of what you've changed. If you save the file, the background will revert to its' normal colour - so, you'll always know what you've changed what hasn't been saved!

Quote Originally Posted by katerimmer View Post
    Edit - also, when you key in the baptism date, it doesn't automatically capitalise the month name. Any chance it could do that, please? I don't know if this is the same for other dates yet.
    You see what you type in! Unlike WinREG/2, when you leave the field, it isn't validated and reformatted immediately. This only happens now when you leave the row. Use an UP or DOWN arrow key to move the cursor to another row and cause the validation to take place.

Another note to prevent too many messages about the subject. For WinREG/3, the built-in help file needs some substantial work carrying out on it. I haven't had the time for this, and so, there is no built-in help currently available. Please everyone, don't bug me about it

katerimmer

Yes, it is 3.1.2. and thanks for the help. The down arrow works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast