barryc

Default Patrick McGuigan

My great great great grandfather was Patrick McGuigan, and I understand that he was born in County Tyrone in 1807.
    He married Catherine Slaven prior to 1842, when they both came to Australia.
    Is anyone able to tell me a little about Patrick and Catherine, who there parents were, marriage data etc.
    It is hard to chase up such info from Australia.
    They were both Roman Catholic.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Barry

Knowledgeable and helpful

Barry,

Statutory recording of births, deaths & marriages only started in Ireland in 1864 (save for Protestant marriages which started in 1845). So these events are well before that. So you willbe relying mostly on surviving church records, but to do that you really need to know which townlands in Tyrone the families came from (and I sense you don't know that). I looked in the LDS pilot but there is no trace of the marriage. The 1901 census (the earliest surviving Irish census) had 262 McGuigans and 73 Slavens in Tyrone alone. So quite common names. It's going to be tricky.

I assume he didn't leave a will, and you've exhausted Australian passenger arrival records?

Elwyn

barryc

Firstly Elwyn, thank you for the prompt reply.
    I understand that Patrick came from Clonfeacle in County Tyrone. I have seen the 13th February 1842 passenger arrival records on the ship "BROOM" for the pair of them, which you can see attached.

The ‘Shipping Archives’ in Sydney hold the original immigration passenger listing (or ‘Bounty List’) for the "Broom". I understand that the following is a faithful extract on the information relating to the McGuigan family (listed as McGuiggan on the shipping list):-

NAME: Patrick McGuiggan Jane McGuiggan

BROUGHT OUT BY: Mr Francis Reid Mr F.Reid

A NATIVE OF: Clonfeacle, Tyrone Clonfeacle, Tyrone

PARENTS’ NAMES: Thomas & Catherine Ann & Patrick Morrison
    Mc.Guiggan - both alive The Father is alive

CALLING: A Farm Labourer A Domestic Servant
    & Dairyman

STATE OF BODILY
    HEALTH: Good Good

STRENGTH & PROBABLE
    USEFULNESS: Likely to be useful. Likely to be useful

READ OR WRITE: No No
    ANY COMPLAINTS: No No

REMARKS: Jane Pile - Given in charge to him by her father & has been with
    this family since then.

Ann Williams he knew previously, & took under his protection at Belfast.

Two male children, Thomas & John, under eighteen years of age, died on board.

Upon arriving in Sydney, I am told that Patrick established a Brewery, and called it McGuigan’s Australian Brewery
    [/COLOR].

Knowledgeable and helpful

Barry,

OK. Knowing that he came from Clonfeacle makes life much easier. The parish records for Clonfeacle RC church apparently start in 1814, so it doesn't look as though you'll find any record there of Patrick's birth in 1807. However you might get his marriage to Catherine Slaven. The records have been computerised by Armagh Ancestry, and copies are held in the Public Record Office for Northern Ireland and also in Dublin. https://www.sagp.org/church_details.p...45&from=church will show you a photo of the church as well as give links to the organisations I have mentioned.

I don't think you can search the records themselves on line. You'll probably need to persuade or pay someone to search for you.

There may also be McGuigan and Slaven gravestones in the churchyard. If you contact the parish priest he may be able to help you with that. (Often some kind individual has transcribed them all). The church has it's own website, so you can probably e-mail him.

Elwyn