shume

Default Teaching Qualifications c 1870

I am interested to know what type of qualifications were needed to teach in the 1870's. I have Andrew William Hume born Ireland who is a teacher in Massachusetts(US) 1870, then Master at Dulwich College, London 1871(dismissed in 1876 before his case came to Court), Tutor in 1881 census Camberwell. No sign of him after that at this stage. Would he need to be a registered teacher to teach at Dulwich College?

Reputation beyond repute

I am interested to know what type of qualifications were needed to teach in the 1870's
    This research guide covers teacher training but Dulwich College was and is a public school and would have their own requirements by way of qualification.

You say he was born in Ireland although you don't say when. It may be worth looking in Alumni Dublinenses

Would he need to be a registered teacher to teach at Dulwich College?
    This is also covered in the guide, there was no registration in the 1870s.

Knowledgeable and helpful

(dismissed before his case came to Court) Sounds intriguing

Emeltee

shume

Thanks for everyone's suggestions: will get someone to check Alumni Dublinisis> He wrote a letter to the Times in 1876 protesting that he had been dismissed by the governors from Dulwich College prior to his libel case against a Rev Marshall. The case was dismissed but he received no apology or reinstatement (sounds familiar) Can't find any mention of the trial on A2A etc. so don't know the details.
    Stephanie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by shume View Post
    Can't find any mention of the trial on A2A etc. so don't know the details.
    The case is discussed in some detail in The Standard newspaper of Thursday, September 13, 1877 (page 4), among others.

If you are in the UK, you may be able to access the British Library's 19th Century Newspapers database free of charge through your county library service. Failing that, there is a paysite.

newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/ (put https:// in front)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Failing that, there is a paysite.
    Sorry, I now see that The Standard (a fairly recent addition to the digitisation) hasn't yet been uploaded to the paysite, though it's available when accessed via a library subscription. I'll send you a PM.

Also, Dulwich College has its own extensive archives, so it might be worth contacting them for further information.

shume

Thanks Kerrywood.. I was able to access the BL site by getting a library ticket number from Lancaster Library which gives me free access to almost everything on BL site. So I found the newspaper article re Andrew Hume that way. Very useful when you live in Aus.
    Now all I need to find out is where he died.
    Stephanie