Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Help with term of Imprisonment

While researching on Ancestry - England and Wales, Criminal Registers - 1791-1892, I came across an entry for a John Mainwaring, who I think is one of mine. Here are the details:
    July 29, 1876 - Summer Assizes - page 12 of 17 - 1st entry - Convicted on Manslaughter. The term of inprisonment looks to me to say "I.C.M", but I have no idea what this means.

If someone with access to A. can view this entry and advise, I would be very appreciative.

If possible, could that same person advising also advise how I could get access to the trial information?

Thanks
    Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    "I.C.M", but I have no idea what this means.
    Imprisoned for 1 calendar month.

how I could get access to the trial information?
    Any surviving assizes records will be at the National Archives. Have a look at this Research Guide.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood;419462

Imprisoned for 1 calendar month.
    Hi Kerrywood.
    It seems to be a mediocre sentence for such a crime.

If I have the right family, then it would appear his mother also died in prison. Her last sentence - given in December 1877 - was 10 years penal servitude with 7 years of police supervision on release. It would appear she died in late 1886 age 74 while completing her sentence. Her crime? - Larceny from the person [could this be what is known today as "Armed Robbery"?]. True she had 4 previous convictions, but then at age 65 when convicted this seem harsh.

Colin

It seems to be a mediocre sentence for such a crime.
    Sentences varied enormously, according to circumstances and (perhaps) the mood of the judge on that particular day. In general, sentences were harsher for crimes against property than for crimes against the person.

Larceny from the person [could this be what is known todayas "Armed Robbery"?
    Larceny is basically the theft of someone else's property, and would include such relatively minor offences as pickpocketing -- so not necessarily armed robbery.

The Historical Background pages of the Old Bailey site are a wonderful source of information on crimes, verdicts, sentences and court procedures of the day, and make very good reading.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Kerrywood.
    Sorry for the typo's in my post #3, -- there was someone at the door, my dog was barking like crazy and dad was on the warpath wanting lunch when I inadvertently hit 'submit'. All in all, a typical day for me!!

Colin

No worries, Colin -- sometimes real life gets in the way.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood;419462
    Any surviving assizes records will be at the National Archives. Have a look at [URL="https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=158"
    this Research Guide[/URL].
    Hi Kerrywood.
    Every time I try TNA, I feel that I need 2 step-ladders and a plank in order to get out. The site scares the bee-jesus outa me!!

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Every time I try TNA, I feel that I need 2 step-ladders and a plank in order to get out. The site scares the bee-jesus outa me!!

Colin
    I have 3 items that have been indicated as being in TNA. Is someone,anyone/somewhere,anywhere willing to help me if I post information???????? I admit, I'm but i'd appreciate the help navigating their site

Colin

The TNA website can be daunting, and it's easy to go round in circles and not find what you're looking for.

Have you read this sticky thread, especially Geoffers' posts #1-5?

I'm sure members will try to help if they can. I'd suggest you start a new thread, unless the information relates directly to this one.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I'm sure members will try to help if they can. I'd suggest you start a new thread, unless the information relates directly to this one.
    Yes, I've read post#5 and the others.

The matters in question relate to the following:
    1] An inquest inno a death in 1864 - which was recorded in The Cambrian" on September 8, 1864.
    2] 5 trials in Swansea, various sessions, all quarter sessions -dates can be supplied, between January 1, 1867 and December 31, 1877 - not related item #1
    3] A trial for manslaughter - this thread.

All matters involve the same family, I think.

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast