Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Good Evening Kevin,

Here following a little more information:
    “1834 John May and his two partners started a chemical business manufacturing pharmaceutical products. His partners were Joseph L. Pickett and Thomas S. Grimwade. The company, known as Grimwade, May and Pickett, was located at Battersea, London.
    Pickett died a year after the business started and by 1839 when Grimwade left the partnership, May was joined by another young chemist, William Garrard Baker. The new partnership was called May and Baker.
    The ownership of this young company passed through several hands and associations, and long after its original founders were brought out, the name May and Baker has remained till today, because of the goodwill created worldwide by the use of M&B trademark.
    1851 From its early beginnings, May and Baker built a reputation for quality, and at an exhibition in London, the company was awarded the prize medal for its acids, metallic salts and other preparations used in Pharmacy. The medal was awarded for the “excellent quality” of the company’s products.
    For years the company continued to manufacture chemicals for pharmaceutical products until 1889 when it introduced its first drug, Sulphonyl, a sedative.
    1884 The company applied for trademarks for anti-corrosives, anti-foulers and chemicals for medicine, pharmacy, photography, philosophical research, agriculture, horticulture, veterinary and sanitary use.
    1890 December: May and Baker was registered in the UK as a limited liability company and became May and Baker Limited."

This company is of the Baker family of Mary Baker, wife of Abraham Garrard of Colchester whose veterinary practice at Trinity House Lodge (he was also a farmer), Trinity House the home of my 2nd great-grandfather, Lionel Garrard, whom would you believe also married a Baker (Elizabeth Baker). It has taken me forty years to resolve the mystery of her origins. Some years ago. I did some research into the family of Abraham because I felt there likely to be a connection, but so far not discovered.
    My Elizabeth Baker the daughter of Rachel Baker and Jeffery Grimwood of Cressing, Essex. Rachel, her mother, the daughter of Thomas & Rachel Baker. Interestingly, Lionel Garrard, a businessman and private banker, was also engaged in other enterprises one pharmaceutical drugs. In addition, his cousin John Baker, son of William & Elizabeth nee Thurlow of Wetheringsett cum Brockford, Suffolk, and as far as presently known no connection to Elizabeth Baker, also a surgeon with the “Bengal Medical Corp”, who died in the war at the Cape of Good Hope.
    It will not escape you another interesting coincidence: Thomas S Grimwade of the earlier May & Baker company a variant of Grimwood – what connection if any there?
    Hope you find some of this interesting.
    Sparklingsilver.

Unfortunately, Kevin is no longer a member. The tag under his name shows “guest” ( where yours shows “newcomer”).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

What a pity! I have just found my old files and going through them likely to have much more information about his Garrod/Garrard family. Thank you for letting me know he is no longer signed in.

It was kind of you to add the info. Someone will find it helpful, some time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12