Thread: Free Reg search

pipsqueak

Lightbulb Free Reg search

I've just tried to do a search on FreeReg, and find that Montgomeryshire is no longer listed, and that there are no place names listed at all. I've already done successful searches in that county, so it should be there. Is this something to do with the latest update to records?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

er, you are looking under Wales aren't you and not England? as I've just looked and Montgomeryshire is definitely listed. When you click on the county name, a list of places comes up too.
    Pam

Kirk Dawson

The latest update to FreeREG on July 31 2010 contains a software error that has eliminated a large number of records. Work on correcting the error is in hand.

Kirk

pipsqueak

Pam - I don't see separate places to search England, Scotland and Wales - just one list of counties from all three.
    Kirk - Thank you, that would appear to be the cause of the problem.

I have to say that although I can see the three countries and their counties listed (is this another case of different browsers see different things?) I did notice that there didn't seem to be too many records listed against the parishes in Mongomeryshire.

Hope you manage the fix the problem without too much hassle, Kirk. (Though as computers are involved perhaps that's a hope too far. )
    Pam

RobinC

I've just tried FreeREG to search for various people who were born prior to 1837 and it hasn't found anything for any of them despite the fact that I've found records for them on the IGI, what am I doing wrong?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

FreeREG is an ongoing project and isn't complete.

You can check the FreeREG coverage for your county/parish of interest here.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I've just tried FreeREG to search for various people who were born prior to 1837 and it hasn't found anything for any of them despite the fact that I've found records for them on the IGI, what am I doing wrong?
    Are you confusing FreeREG and Familysearch? They have no connection with each other, therefore entries which may be on the IGI and on the Family search Beta site will not necessarily be on FreeREG.

Have you checked in the 'counties and parishes' list on FreeREG (right-hand side of page) that entries for that county/parish exist for the timespan you're looking at?
    Pam

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The search process on FreeREG is, to saythe least, simplistic! To get any meaningful results, you either need to know exactly what you're searching for (even down to spelling and transcription errors) or provide the least possible information to search with. As others have said, FreeREG is an ongoing process.