Ken Berry

Default Thomas Edward Lunt, guest of his Majesty

Hi All,
    I have tried and tried to find out why my grandad was in Walton Prison while the 1901 census was being taken. Hadn't been able to finf him with the family the day of the census and a kind person gave me a pointer.
    He was in Walton on the Hill Prison.List occupation News Vendor of own Means. I noticed it also said family so thought that was great.Wife called me for morning coffee so set printer going to get family. Three sheets of names,never gave it a thought so obviously I was new to the game. There was 150 names all the other guys in the jug at the same time with him. Is there any way I can find out what he was in for? Help or pointing in the right direction would be most appreciated.Best Regards Ken B

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Try blacksheepancestors.com

or there maybe something at Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Assuming your ancestor was 'convicted in Liverpool', the record office maybe able to assist

Liverpool.gov.uk
    (prefix all www.)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Berry View Post
    I have tried and tried to find out why my grandad was in Walton Prison while the 1901 census was being taken. Hadn't been able to finf him with the family the day of the census and a kind person gave me a pointer.
    He was in Walton on the Hill Prison.List occupation News Vendor of own Means.
    Finding out why people were in gaol in 1901 can be difficult. That is because there are no centralised criminal registers after 1892, and relatively few prison registers are available, none at all for Walton, as far as I know.

Your best bet may be the local newspapers, in the hope that his court case was reported. If you're very lucky, a report may appear in one of the newspapers that is searchable online (e.g. the Liverpool Mercury, assuming his "crime" was in Liverpool).

newspapers.bl.uk/blcs (put https:// in front).

This is a paysite, but searching is free. Thumbnail results may give you enough information to identify a relevant entry.