MaryFrances

Default Identifying an R.C. Church in Llanelly.

Please can anyone help? I have a wedding photo, taken in 1939, outside a Roman Catholic Church in Llanelly. (The BMD record says Llanelly). I don't know how to put a photo onto this site, so will try to describe it. You know when you pleat a piece of paper, to make a fan?...well, the front of the church looks like that - seems to be made of brick. There is a doorway with a flat roof over the top and a light above it. It all looks very art deco. There is a brick wall at the side and a wrought iron gate. Of course, things have possibly changed since then and the church may not still be there, but I am hoping that someone may recognise the description. Thank you in anticipation.

Reputation beyond repute

The marriage certificate will identify it accurately.

Ms Tarfgi

According to this year's Cardiff Archdiocese Directory there is only one Catholic Church in Llanelli: Our Lady Queen of Peace. It has a website at www.olqpllanelli.org.uk, but the building looks modern. There has been a church on the site since 1862, so it probably is the church you're interested in.

MaryFrances

Thank you, Peter and Ms Tarfgi. I didn't want to send for the certificate yet as they are so expensive and the couple concerned are of interest, but not in the direct line. I will have a look at the website and see if there is a contact number or e-mail.

MaryFrances

Just to update this, Peter and MsTarfgi. I e-mailed the photo to the Parish Priest at Our Lady Queen of Peace, Llanelli, and he confirmed that it was the old church, of the same name. Thank you. Marjorie.

Ms Tarfgi

That's great Marjorie, thanks for the update.