Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    barbaitch40

Default Reynolds: How to trace 4x Gt. Grandparents

I am stuck at 1797 when my 3x Gt Grandfather (Edward John Reynolds) was born, in Bethnal Green, Middlesex, but I have no information about his parents and don't know what to do next. I am very new to this, and only wish I knew a little bit more about brick walls and how to get around them. I would really appreciate it if a kind Brit-Genner could tell me what steps I should take now?

What I'm hoping to find is that my 4x Gt Grandfather originated in Devon (Exeter/Plympton), but until I learn a bit more, it looks like I'm going to stay stuck in Bethnal Green!

Help!

Best wishes, all
    barbaitch

pennydog

Can you give us some more details of Edward John - do you have him on any census? Is 1797 his confirmed dob or have you got it from census returns. Does he have any siblings? The more info you can give us the better chance we have of solving your mystery.

barbaitch40

Hi pennydog:
    Thank you so much for replying. I can't tell you how grateful I am for your offer of help and hope the following information will be of use.

My 3xGt Grandfather, Edward John Reynolds, is on the 1841 Census as being born in 1797 (I have his birth/baptism record as: born 16 April 1797/Bap: 7 May 1797 in St Leonards, Shoreditch, Middx) and living at Robert Street, St Matthew Bethnal Green, Tower Hamlets. Occupation: Greengrocer. His wife was ALICE (Nee Brown), born 1798. Their children were: Edward (b 1822 - although I have his birth year as 1819, baptised: 8 August 1819, St John at Hackney); Elizabeth (b 1820); Ann (b 1824); Hannah (b1827); Joseph (b1829) - all from Bethnal Green, Middx.

Unfortunately, I don't know if my Edward John Snr had any siblings. I know it would make such a difference if I could say otherwise, but sadly I can't.

Maybe it would help if I told you what I'm actually trying to learn by tracing this particular branch of my family tree?

Of course, it's quite likely I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I'm trying to find out if my maternal grandmother (Elizabeth Maria Reynolds (b 1874 Bethnal Green) was related to Sir Joshua Reynolds' family and if that is the case, know that I need my search to take me to Devon, where his family were from.

I was told by my mother over 60 years ago that we were related to Sir Joshua Reynolds, and it's taken me all this time to actually find out if the story is true! I do know Sir Joshua never married, so I presume that if the family story is correct, then our relationship must lead back to one of two brothers: either ROBERT (b1714 - d1787), Ironmonger of Exeter, Devon, or HUMPHREY (b1713 - d1740) Humphrey, a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, sadly he drowned at sea, aged 27. There were two other brothers, SAMUEL (b1727 - d ??), and MARTYN (b-1731 - d 1740), but assume neither of them survived beyond childhood, although I can't be sure about Samuel, as I don't have his dod.

As you will see, I only have about one and a half generations to go back before I know for sure if my grandmother was right!

Once again, I am so grateful for your kind offer to help. If you could just suggest some avenues I could explore (and how I go about locating them), I'd be more than happy to keep searching.

With best wishes,
    barbaitch

Bertie

Hi there - hope this is of some help...

I presume birth / chr. is Edward Reynold per family search, parents Joseph and Jane. This is from batch C040801 (covers 1784-1798)
    If you go to the search page of family search and put in surname Reynold, father Joseph and batch no. (in this case C040801) you will get all other baptisms at that church ofr those dates: in this case there is no other.
    If you go to https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ex_(N-Z).htm#S you can see the other batches for St. Leonard, in this case the next one is C040802. Again searhc on Reynolds and refine with father Joseph: then you get: Ann Say Reynolds (parents Joseph and Ann, so probs. not your family?) and Joseph b. 08 Dec 1798, chr. 07 Feb 1799, parents Jospeh and Jane, so at least you have one sibling (repeat as necessary)
    Re. marriage: can only find 2: Joseph Rennell and Jane Roope 09 Apr 1782 Kingsbridge Devon (M001881) and Joseph Reynold to Jane Lingard 1792 Ulceby, by Barton, Lincoln (M032651). If you use the previous technique to ID births to these couples then you may be able to rule one (or both) out [e.g. if births a few months apart in different locations].

Hope this helps

Mutley

Does the baptism of Edward John not say
    son of xxx and xxx ?

If you are searching in the parish records maybe a trawl 5 years either side of his birth may give you a sibling.

I think once you get this far back there is no easy way, it is a hard slog and probably a lot of luck.

The images of the actual parish registers from the London Metropolitan Archives are on Ancestry. Baptisms are not indexed yet prior to 1813, but armed with the exact date given it was easy to find the image of the actual baptism. Go to London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, enter Hackney under Borough and St.leonard Shoreditch under Parish, then click on 1797-1802. You can browse through the register page by page (hopefully finding siblings) but the actual entry for Edward is on Page 5.

7 May 1797
    Edward, son of Joseph and Jane Reynolds of Webb Square, born April 16.

The LMA London marriages are indexed from 1754 with links to the actual images, but I can't find one early enough for a Joseph Reynolds to a Jane, so they may have married elsewhere.

Baptisms are indexed from 1813 and there are links to the following baptism images at St. John's Hackney, all children of Edward and Alice:
    Edward John Reynolds bap 8 Aug 1819 (Address Kingsland Hy, Father's occupation Labourer)
    Elizabeth Reynolds bap 16 June 1822 (Address Dalston Hy, Father's occupation Green Grocer)
    Ann Champion Reynolds bap 23 May 1824 (Address Dalston Hy, Father's occupation Labourer)
    John Champion Vincent Reynolds bap 22 Jan 1826 (Address Well Street Hy, Father's occupation Labourer)

Presume Hy = Hackney?

Then at St.Matthew, Bethnal Green:
    Joseph George Reynolds bap 27 Dec 1829 (born 6 Dec 1829) Robert St, Father's occupation Labourer

Then at St.Leonard's, Shoreditch:
    Mary Ann Reynolds bap 2 Sep 1832 (born Aug 18 1832) Webb Square, Father's occupation Coster Monger
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Looking at the original image of the marriage between Edward Reynolds and Alice Brown, both made their mark rather than signing their names. The witnesses were Jane HUNT and Benj. CROOK

The marriages index shows Ann Champion REYNOLDS marrying Thomas HARVEY on 3 Feb 1845 in Christ Church, Spitalfields. The original image gives father as Edward REYNOLDS, Green Grocer.

There is also a marriage of a Sarah Champion REYNOLDS to Thomas Ellis NOBLES on 28 March 1847 in St.John the Baptist, Hoxton. She must be a relation, but her father is listed as Joseph REYNOLDS (deceased), Carpenter. Sadly it just says 'of full age', but you might be able to track her down on the census.
    Sue Mackay

barbaitch40

OMG!!!

Dear pennydog, Bertie, Mutley and Sue: I am completely and utterly overwhelmed by all the wonderful help, advice, support and data you have all taken so much trouble to give me! When I saw all those replies not long ago, I spun out (in my head!) instantly, unable to take in all that incredible information! I know this might sound a bit dramatic, but I'm so impressed with what you've all done for someone you don't even know, that my heart's really thumping!!

I'm going to read it all over again now and do exactly what you've suggested! Oh, I still cannot believe how fantastic you've all been!

Thank you so very much. I'm actually crying.

With much gratitude and appreciation.
    barbaitch x

Mutley

Welcome to the forum Barbaitch.

That's wot we do on 'ere, try to help folk.
    Your turn will come, you will try to return the favour and help someone else.

What goes around comes around....

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    There is also a marriage of a Sarah Champion REYNOLDS to Thomas Ellis NOBLES on 28 March 1847 in St.John the Baptist, Hoxton. She must be a relation, but her father is listed as Joseph REYNOLDS (deceased), Carpenter. Sadly it just says 'of full age', but you might be able to track her down on the census.
    There is obviously a connection to the name CHAMPION in your family, and it would seem to be on the paternal side, as the above Joseph REYNOLDS is probably the one Bertie found as baptised in 1798 to Joseph and Jane and hence a brother to Edward the green grocer. My first thought was that Jane's maiden name was CHAMPION, but I haven't found any marriage of a Jane CHAMPION to a Joseph REYNOLDS in London or on the IGI - could have taken place elsewhere of course.

However, I have come across a couple of other instances of the name CHAMPION that I can't tie in as yet but that you might like to file away for consideration.

1. There is a public tree on Ancestry for a Benjamin REYNOLDS, born 4 Feb 1780 in Connecticut, USA. Three of his children were given the middle name CHAMPION.
    2. The IGI lists the baptism on 22 Dec 1723 of Jean Vincent CHAMPION, son of Francois and Madeleine CHAMPION, French Huguenot Spitalfields. I only mention this one because Edward and Alice named one of their sons John Champion Vincent REYNOLDS.
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast