Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bertie

Hi Alan - I'm still puzzled why the marriage was also recorded in Barony when clearly married in Aberfoyle! Is there a clue on the OPR page? What theory do you have for their whereabouts / movements? If James from Aberfoyle or vicinity, how did he get to be in Barony to work and then later marry in Aberfoyle (even assuming Christian was a childhood sweetheart or suchlike)?

Re. the births:
    I thought that might be the case for Agnes;
    Jane - this is a submitted IGI so not extracted from a parish record so must be treated with caution, and I can now see yours on familysearch, but if you input Jane Eadie father James 1822 as exact year you can see the record for yourself: strange it is the exact same date, but different location - only underlines the need to see the original record!
    Christian: input Christinia and 1826 and you'll see submitted IGI for birth in Monkland, death 14 Dec 1856 Cedar City, Iron, Utah married William Davidson 21 Jan 1843: this looks to be a 'good' submitted IGI as the marriage is properly extracted, married Old Monkland - on that basis, it does look as though they went to the USA

Re. other births finding them under Adam (rather than I presume Adie) must have been a challenge for you!

Eadie

Hi Bertie,

I have assumed the possible movement of James from farmland in Perthshire to become a coal miner in Glasgow because of the industrial revolution and lowland clearances (similar to the highland clearances) of the time. If working in Barony and with Christian possibly pregnant and knowing they were to be married in Aberfoyle (from where she came from) I can understand their wish to get a marriage recorded in Barony earliest (and told a few fibs to achieve this). If only I could find the details of their first born to prove Christian's pregnancy.

I will check out Jane's birth as you indicate as this seems to point to the place from whence they (at least Christian) may well have originally came from. Both her parents (David Mclaren and Janet McNab) were born in Callander.

As to Christian/Christina (I believe these names were interchangeable in those days) I have her married to a William Davidson (b 22.6.1823 in Paisley) in Feb 1842 (no location) and Christian/Christina's death 14.12.1856 (again no location) but I have also a note that reads "Suspect family may have emigrated to USA (Iowa) in late 1840s". But alas I cannot now recall where I got this from. You must remember I have been bashing my head against this brick wall since the late 1960s and my memory these days is not what it used to be. But it does seem to line up with what you say. Will have to check how far apart Iowa and utah are.

Alan

Bertie

Just a thought - do you know if they followed the scottish naming convention for the births of their children: if so, that might give you a clue on, if there were other births, what the first name was of the 'missing' children.

Eadie

Bertie,

Thanks for that. The normal scottish namimg convention was subsequently followed so if the first born was male then he should have been an Andrew. In fact the last born was named Andrew and the fifth born was a Daniel which seems to rule out the early death of the first born. If the first born was a female she should have been a Janet. I have had no luck searching for either Janet or Andrew on Family Search. Must give ScotlandsPeople a whirl sometime.

Alan

Bertie

Alan I came across the following:

1832 Electoral Roll for Perthshire
    I have just posted the 1832 Electoral Roll for the Parish of Callander in Perthshire :

caledonianconnections.com/1832.aspx

Plenty of Stewart and Fergusons ! This completes the Parishes of Strathearn and those adjoining . More of Perthshire to follow in due course .

Col
    ?
    This is a post on Family Tree Forum. It might be worth a loook to see if any of your names are there?
    Last edited by Jan1954; 24-07-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: url edited - Homepage has a book for sale

Eadie

Bertie,

Many thanks for this. Surprisingly I was looking at this site the other day as a result of the Pharos genealogical course I am doing. I would really like to find out where Carnock, Callander is so I can focus on that area. So far I have found lots of Carnocks in Scotland but not one that is anywhere near Callander.

Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12