Loves to help with queries

Default Aaron Edge, policeman , Bolton, Lancs

My great grandfather Aaron Edge was a policeman in Bolton force in early 1900s. Have managed to find his records but had been hoping to find a photo. Done some searchin in newspapers and wrestling records as he was known to be a good wrestler but no luck.

Any suggestions anyone?

My mother remembers there being photos of him and possibly one in uniform but none with records.

Thank you

Jean

Geoffers

Surviving photos are usually with family - you have tried newspapers and his records (does the local force have a museum with any photos?)

Does the County Record Office have a collection of older photographs?

Is there a local history society with access to old photos?

Thank you Geoffers -some good suggestions. Have tried Manchester Police Museum
    You have helped me with past queries so thank you once again!!
    Jean

Hi Jean I think you might be talking about my great grandad was he the same man who saved a girl in a well and did he have a daughter called Amelia if so please feel free to contact

Quote Originally Posted by markrobishaw View Post
    Hi Jean I think you might be talking about my great grandad was he the same man who saved a girl in a well and did he have a daughter called Amelia if so please feel free to contact
    Hi Mark
    We have been in touch in the past and I sent you information about our WW1 ancestors. I'll contact you via message.
    Best wishes
    Jean

There is an announcement in the Daily Telegraph & Courier (London) for Tues 15 Aug 1905 that includes PC Aaron Edge of Bolton in a list of people getting gallantry medals. It says that he and another man tried to rescue a man who fell down an artesian well, 150 feet, at Bolton. Is that him?
    The list actually appears in a number of other papers.

There's a later story (3 Jan 1907, Bolton Evening News) about a guy called John E Taylor accusing PC Edge of assault. Taylor was sitting on the steps in a courtroom and refused to move. He claimed that Edge grabbed him, swung him round and grabbed his throat. Edge said he was trying to get the man to move, Case dismissed, Taylor to pay costs and expenses of witnesses. The most interesting point is that it gives Edge's address as 52 Virgil St, Bolton.

Thank you very much for your time. Yes that's the same Aaron. I think he was a bit of a character. I knew about the well incident but hadn't seen the 1907 article although I have his police records that mention he was reprimanded around this time.

Interesting. There was no mention in the report of him being reprimanded, just that the case was dismissed and the other guy had to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Interesting. There was no mention in the report of him being reprimanded, just that the case was dismissed and the other guy had to pay!
    I've just looked back on my records and it was on another occasion he was reprimanded - not this one. I was confusing my dates. I would love to see a copy of the article from 1907 if it's at all possible..
    Thank you very much for your time.