Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reputation beyond repute

We will try for the wedding cert and see what it says.
    Yes. This is absolutely essential.

Mutley

Thinking a bit further about this...
    If Henry was given to Herman (official adoption did not happen until the 1930s) to bring up, unless he was related, the child of a family member, his birth name would not have been Gross.

There are 30 children with the first name of Henry registered in Jan 1888 in Marylebone. A hard slog to track them all in the census. We also do not know if Winifred was a birth sister to Henry.

Please come back and let us know the results of the marriage certificate. It is a very interesting problem.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There are 30 children with the first name of Henry registered in Jan 1888 in Marylebone. A hard slog to track them all in the census. We also do not know if Winifred was a birth sister to Henry.
    Further complicating this is that on the 1911 census, he indicates a birthplace of Westminster.

So 1901 = Oxford Street, London
    1911 = Westminster
    Naval record = Marylebone

Mutley

Westminster registration district is easier, there are only 5 listed as Henry. Of course he may not even have been registered as a Henry.

Reputation beyond repute

1901 = Oxford Street, London
    1911 = Westminster
    Naval record = Marylebone
    That's fair enough. If it was Oxford Street, it could have been Westminster or St Marylebone.

ejgray52

Latest on Henry. I have found his marriage in the parish records of Alverstoke (St Mary's) and all the entries for father's name and occupation are struck through! Mum has told me a family story about him burning a lot of papers when he was younger; maybe he disowned his family....

Clifjade

This is from Vickie Slogrove who has a Slowgrove website on Rootsweb World Connect Project, in reply to the message re Henry Goss which I forwarded to her:
    -Clif(London)
    Sorry my reply has been a long time coming, but this is all I have for Henry Gross.

Born about 1889 in London. Deduced from Census

1901 Census for Civil Parish of St. Marylebone, London, England RG12/112/138/7
    Ecclesiastical Parish of Emmanuel Maida Vale, Sub. Reg. Dist. Christchurch
    104 Princess Street
    Herman Grosse Head Mar 48 Baker Worker Berlin, Germany
    Francis Grosse Wife Mar 45 Brompton Road, London, England
    Henry Grosse Son 12 Oxford St., London, England
    Winifred Grosse Dau 4 Edgeware Road, London, England

I have been unable to find Henry's parents or sister Winnifred on the 1911C, but found the following which may be for this Henry Grosse.

1911 Census for Gosport Hampshire. RG number: RG14 Piece:5629 Reference:RG14PN5629 RG78PN255 RD91 SD1 ED7 SN235
    Registration District: Alverstoke Sub District: Alverstoke Enumeration District: 7 Parish: Alverstoke
    Address: 14 Lavinia Road, Gosport, Hampshire
    Child Maude Margaret Wife Mar F 37 1874 Occ:None Colchester Essex
    Married 20 years. 7 children. 5 living and 2 who have died
    Child Rose Patricia Daughter Single F 13 1898 None Athlone Ireland Resident
    Child Percy Howard Son Single M 9 1902 None Galway Ireland Resident
    Child Cyril Leonard Son Single M 4 1907 None Gosport Hants
    Child Bertha Evelyn Grandchild F 1 1910 None Gosport Hants
    Gross Henry Visitor Single M 23 1888 Able Seaman/Royal Navy /Worker Westminster London
    The house had four rooms. Sgd: Maud Margaret Child, Whitworth Road, Gosport.

and for his parents

Born: About. 1856 in Berlin, Germany

Married: 18 June 1882 to Anne Frances Slowgrave at the Church of St.Bartholemew the Great, London, England

Civil registration of Marriages Jun Qtr 1882 Gross, Herman married Slowgrov, Frances Anny London C. 1c 24 (England)

Parish Record
    1882 Marriage solemnized in the Parish Church in the Parish of St. Bartholenew the Great, in the County of London
    Page 95. Item 189
    10 June 1882 Herman Gross 29 Batchelor . Occ: Baker. Abode: New Street.
    Father: Frederick Herman Occ: Barber
    marr
    Frances Anny Slowgrove 27 Spinster. Abode: Barley Mow Passage.
    Father: Francis Slowgrove. Occ: Butler
    Married in the Parish church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns by me Sgd. J. Sorrell (?)
    This marriage was solemnized between us Sgd. Hermann Gross and Frances Anny Slowgrove
    In the presence of us Sgd. James Robinson and Barbara Annie Mumby

There were two known children of this union, Henry and Winifred

1891 Census for Marylebone, London, England RG12/100/9/20/35. Municipal Ward: Dorset Square
    Registration District: Marylebone E.. Ecclesiatical Parish of Christchurch
    28 Boston Place
    Herman Gross Head Mar 35 Baker Germany, Berlin
    Frances Gross Wife Mar 36 London, Brompton

1901 Census for Civil Parish of St. Marylebone, London, England RG12/112/138/7
    Ecclesiastical Parish of Emmanuel Maida Vale, Sub. Reg. Dist. Christchurch
    104 Princess Street
    Herman Grosse Head Mar 48 Baker Worker Berlin, Germany
    Francis Grosse Wife Mar 45 Brompton Road, London, England
    Henry Grosse Son 12 Oxford St., London, England
    Winifred Grosse Dau 4 Edgeware Road, London, England

and the earlier stuff for his mother

Born: 4 April 1856 (Baptised 1865)

Parish Record:
    Baptisms solemnised in the Parish of St. John, Paddington in the County of Middlesex in the year 1865
    Church of St. John the Evangelist
    Page 200 Item #1599 19 February 1865
    Frances Annie daughter of Francis and Ann Amelia Slowgrove of 5 Porchester Place.
    Father's Occ: Butler.
    Born 4 April 1856
    Sgd. W. Cotton Risby (?)

Married: 18 June 1882 to Herman Gross at the Church of St.Bartholemew the Great, London

I did not quite understand something you have written, namely ""almost"" fighting in two World war" can you clarify please. And cana ytou give me details of his deaath record please.

I hope you find this useful. Enjoy. Vickie

PS I suppose you don't have any photographs you would like to share. I would love to have one for each of them if available. Thanks. Vickie

ejgray52

Many thanks Vicky; you have confirmed some of the stuff I had found and also filled in a bit more... henry served in WW1, leaving the Navy in 1929. In July 1939 he joined up again, keeping his old rank, but was invalided out on health grounds in August that year. He died in 1942 and is buried in Anns Hill cemetery in Gosport, along with his wife (my maternal grandmother) Amy nee Child. I do have a photo of them together, taken during WW1. when I get a chance, I will post it.
    Do you know where Francis Slowgrove worked? I am wondering if Henry was the product of a liaison in the household...
    Many Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123