Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    emma@esh

Arrow Wadhurst WW1 MI POWELL

Richard Henry Powell husband of Barbara Frances Courthope.
    15-3-1884 to 9-5-1915 killed in action at Richesbourg L'avour.

Default Do you know about Richard Henry Powell?

Hello, please do you have some information about Richard Henry Powell? I am informed he was a journalist and playwright. I am eager to learn more about his works for the theatre. Thank you

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums benangwin.
    emma@esh hasn't been on the forums since 2015 but if they still have the same email address should receive notification of your post.
    In 1911 Richard henry and his wife Barbara of 1 year are living in a hotel in St George Hanover Square Belgrave. His occupation is given as Journalist (sub-editor).

I have just found this primarily about the death of his son in WW11 and only referring to Richard H as a journalist.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This link mentions two plays he wrote

A little here about the play The White Dove
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A search for 'Richard Henry Powell journalist' found this.
    https://dorkingmuseum.org.uk/2nd-lie...-henry-powell/

Try substituting playwright for journalist and see if you get anything else.
    Also try searching newspapers, especially theatrical ones such as 'The Stage'. I'm sure an internet search for 'theatrical newspapers' will reveal the names of others.

ADDED: Christina nicked my link. (The advantage of posting a very short message!)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    ADDED: Christina nicked my link. (The advantage of posting a very short message!)

Pam
    I also added another one Pam to my post.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

And another about the comedy 'The Wymartens"
    Here
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Powell senior's entry on CWGC gives a little more info about him:
    2nd Lt, ages 31, "C" Coy 5th Btn
    Son of Helena M Powell of the Rectory, Penvorth, Sussex and the late Henry Pryor Powell, husband of Barbara Frances Powell of 17 Tite St, Chelsea.
    On Editorial staff of the Times newspaper.

When Ancestry stop playing with their website (they're currently denying that they have all sorts of military stuff), have a look for a book called "Soldiers who died in the first World War"- it often has extra info.

The newspapers for 1914 (all over the UK) have reviews of the Wynmartens at the Playhouse, mostly favourable. He's described as a "novice".

There's wedding announcements for him and Barbara in 1910.

Oddly, considering that he worked for the Times, I can't find an obituary for him!

Thank you all for your help. Appreciated. We've definitely found the right man!

Yes, I've scoured old newspapers and magazines and discovered plenty about him and some of his plays. This is what I have gleaned so far: [note: I'll add your additional comments to my notes]

Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. Before joining The Times, gained experience in theatrical management, and was the author of The White Dove (1907) and The Wynmartens (1914). As Lieutenant Richard H. Powell, Royal Sussex Regiment, he was killed on or after 9 May 1915. Another of his plays, The King’s Counterfeit, was posthumously performed in 1920. Married Barbara Frances in 1910 or 1911. Had a son and daughter.

I know it's a long shot but I'm eager to try and find his family (descendants from either of his children). None of Powell's plays were published and I would be delighted to find a typescript or play notes. In particular I'm after information concerning The Wynmartens - as my research is into the designers of its settings, as well as the narrative of the play.

Many thanks again for your support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast